Commuting to Colchester High School for Girls from Upminster

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

StrawberChoc

Commuting to Colchester High School for Girls from Upminster

Post by StrawberChoc »

Hello all,

I am new here, my DD was offered a place in Colchester County High School for Girls (CCHSG).

We live very close to Upminster station; can anyone (residing within Upminster / Hornchurch / Gidea Park /Emerson Park area) advise how their children commute to CCHSG?

Are there any buses/coach going to CCHSG?

Many thanks,
J
Daogroupie

Re: Commuting to Colchester High School for Girls from Upmin

Post by Daogroupie »

You posted this in the Herts section, it needs to be in the Essex section.

Mods pls move.

Thanks

DG
You're welcome
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

StrawberChoc wrote:Hello all,

I am new here, my DD was offered a place in Colchester County High School for Girls (CCHSG).

We live very close to Upminster station; can anyone (residing within Upminster / Hornchurch / Gidea Park /Emerson Park area) advise how their children commute to CCHSG?

Are there any buses/coach going to CCHSG?

Many thanks,
J
I don’t mean to be funny but that’s a 90mile round trip every day. Is there not a school closer to you?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

can anyone (residing within Upminster / Hornchurch / Gidea Park /Emerson Park area) advise how their children commute to CCHSG?
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that no one will be able to advise on this because it's 35 miles as the crow flies to Colchester from Upminster and no one would expect their child to make that journey on a daily basis.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

streathammum wrote:

can anyone (residing within Upminster / Hornchurch / Gidea Park /Emerson Park area) advise how their children commute to CCHSG?
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that no one will be able to advise on this because it's 35 miles as the crow flies to Colchester from Upminster and no one would expect their child to make that journey on a daily basis.
More to the point, it's more than 40 miles by road, up the A12 and then some. Or a walk from the nearest station which reinforces the fact that Essex actually isn't flat.

Southend High School for Girls admits via the same entrance exam amd is a 15 minute walk on the flat from Southend East station, which is on the same line as Upminster.

But doesn't have the cachet of ColCHS, of course :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

ToadMum wrote:But doesn't have the cachet of ColCHS, of course :).
Well of course. What use is sleep when one could have cachet instead?

Sorry OP, I know that you are after proper help with this, but please do consider whether this is a sensible commute for your DC.
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

Link forwarded by PM -Moderator
This might help.

That journey is ridiculous for a child to undertake 190 days a year. That aside how do you expect your child to maintain friendships when most of their friends will live an hour away.

WHSG and SHSG are relatively easy to get to from Upminster and all connected by the C2C line - why wouldn't you have considered them to be better options?

I'm genuinely flabbergasted that a parent would be happy for their child to do the journey you suggest; I'm worried about my DD walking 1.3 miles on her own! :lol:
StrawberChoc

Post by StrawberChoc »

Thanks all for the reply :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Leighmum2019 wrote:Link forwarded by PM -Moderator
This might help.

That journey is ridiculous for a child to undertake 190 days a year. That aside how do you expect your child to maintain friendships when most of their friends will live an hour away.

WHSG and SHSG are relatively easy to get to from Upminster and all connected by the C2C line - why wouldn't you have considered them to be better options?

I'm genuinely flabbergasted that a parent would be happy for their child to do the journey you suggest; I'm worried about my DD walking 1.3 miles on her own! :lol:
To be fair, the OP's DD would be doing about that from Chalkwell station to WHSG and a fair stretch of it uphill Which is why I suggested SHSG - for those who are really exercise-averse, they can always get the bus a couple of stops, not an option from Chalkwell to Westcliff (although I see that Tommy More's does a minibus pick-up these days :lol: ). Bit late now, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Pushy Mum

Post by Pushy Mum »

StrawberChoc
PM me - I am local to you. I have one in year 10 and another starting sept
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now