Any Tewkesbury bus riders – Crypt/Ribston?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

YankBritmum

Re: Any Tewkesbury bus riders – Crypt/Ribston?

Post by YankBritmum »

MumInTewkesbury wrote:Hi - Are there many children travelling from Tewkesbury to Crypt? My son has been offered a place, I’m concerned at the distance and seeing friends after school?
Once we've relocated, my daughter will be starting Y7 at Ribston (same bus as Crypt). I'm putting a positive spin on the bus for her, as it will be at least an hour later than bus times in the USA where Middle School kids start at 7.00 a.m.!

Any current Tewkesbury bus riders know what is happening with Eagle Line vs Bennetts operating services? Has anyone currently using Eagle Line received notification for renewing next year? I have had an email off Bennetts, but I am trying to deduce if this means there will be one or two operators?
Iona

Post by Iona »

There are lots of children travelling from Tewkesbury to Crypt/Ribston. It sounds like next year there will possibly be two buses running. Eagle Line & Bennett’s. Eagle Line is the current service. I think I’m staying with them as the times and stops they make suit my DDs better. I know Bennetts is cheaper though.

They get used to the journey, although in year 7 I think they are more tired to start with. It soon becomes the norm. You just have to be organised ready for leaving at 7.35am from the Crescent.
BeccaH

Post by BeccaH »

Funnily enough, having just accepted a place at The Crypt, I spoke to Bennett's this afternoon during a phone round to try and find out who currently runs the service (unfortunately the info on the school website seems to be out of date).

They tell me that they will be running a service from September stopping at The Crescent, Gloucester Road and Stonehills and they are already taking applications for it. As I recall the pick up from Stonehills will be around 07.28 returning at 16.18. There is a £100 non-refundable deposit and then £1195 to pay in August if you are making one payment, alternatively you can pay by standing order over 9 months or termly.

I wasn't aware of Eagle Line so I have applied for a bus pass with Bennett's and a confirmation email suggested there were about 12 places remaining.

Interestingly, I note on Marchant's website that due to parental demand they are adding in a stop at the Wheatpieces pub in Walton Cardiff for some of their routes (Pates and possible STR I think). I wonder whether there would be enough support to try to convince Bennett's to pick up/drop off there too if there was a large enough group going from Walton Cardiff?
YankBritmum

Post by YankBritmum »

BeccaH wrote:Funnily enough, having just accepted a place at The Crypt, I spoke to Bennett's this afternoon during a phone round to try and find out who currently runs the service (unfortunately the info on the school website seems to be out of date).

They tell me that they will be running a service from September stopping at The Crescent, Gloucester Road and Stonehills and they are already taking applications for it. As I recall the pick up from Stonehills will be around 07.28 returning at 16.18. There is a £100 non-refundable deposit and then £1195 to pay in August if you are making one payment, alternatively you can pay by standing order over 9 months or termly.

I wasn't aware of Eagle Line so I have applied for a bus pass with Bennett's and a confirmation email suggested there were about 12 places remaining.

Interestingly, I note on Marchant's website that due to parental demand they are adding in a stop at the Wheatpieces pub in Walton Cardiff for some of their routes (Pates and possible STR I think). I wonder whether there would be enough support to try to convince Bennett's to pick up/drop off there too if there was a large enough group going from Walton Cardiff?
I think I recall a friend saying that the Eagle Line service in the afternoon, does stop at the Wheatpieces. I don't know if there are any Eagle Line users on here, that can confirm that 100%? The choice of bus service from Tewkesbury may end up being 'self selecting' depending on route stops, versus price. Personally, given that this is something we'll be doing for many years, if it was more convenient, but maybe more expensive, I would probably choose convenience!! (and potentially with a second younger child to take the GS route)
BeccaH

Post by BeccaH »

Hi,

Just a quick update....I have spoken to Eagle Line this morning who have confirmed that they will also be doing a Tewkesbury-Crypt bus service in September but, like Bennetts, they will also be collecting/dropping off from Stonehills.

I have messaged Bennetts to ask about the possibility of stopping at the pub on Walton Cardiff (worth asking given how much more convenient it would be for children going from the estate - especially in the winter!) but if there is anyone else in a similar position perhaps they could suggest it too? This seems to have been successful for those using the Tewkesbury-Pates service run by Marchants :D