Missed out on Ribston. Advice please.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mindthegap

Missed out on Ribston. Advice please.

Post by Mindthegap »

My daughter only achieved qualifying ranking for Ribston. Fell in love with the school and put it as first choice but didn't get it. She is ranked 574 and they allocated up to 550. She's very upset, doesn't want to go anywhere else. What are her chances? We have asked to go on waiting list and put it first and will appeal if we have too. She didnt have s tutor and only decided to do the test at the last minute .
Mindthegap

Re: Missed out on Ribston. Advice please.

Post by Mindthegap »

And also am I understanding the ranking system properly? Also confused about the second test. How can they allocate more places after 1st March as all will have been allocated?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Late applicants will join the waiting list which is ranked by the oversubscription criteria.
Prof Pat Pending

Post by Prof Pat Pending »

I think someone on another thread said Ribston went down to 575 last year, but that was quite late on in July after reconsiderations and appeals - have you spoken to the admissions officer at Ribston to see what they think? Make sure you are on their waiting list (have you spoken to the admissions team at the Council?).
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

Thank you. Yes have spoken to admissions and to the school. The school said she's in a very good position.
icantthinkofagoodone

Post by icantthinkofagoodone »

Don't just wait for a place to become available. Appeal as well. Those who are successful at appeal will leapfrog the waiting list.
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

We will do. Once the appeal packs become available.
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

That's all I can do isn't it. Am I missing anything?
cazien

Post by cazien »

Mindthegap wrote:That's all I can do isn't it. Am I missing anything?
Yes, I think you have covered all bases.
Reconsideration process will be first, followed by appeal. In the meantime, keep her on the waiting list at the school.
A number of pupils will move schools during the reconsideration process so she may very well be allocated a place then.
If you have to go to appeal, her rank will not be considered - they may just enquire as to why she didn't perform better.
Even after reconsideration and appeals, pupils drop out of their allocated school - DD has friends who were offered places at Ribston on September 1st and October 18th because places became available.

Good Luck.
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

Thank you. So are reconsideration and waiting lists 2 different things?
Also am I understanding the ranking correctly and she's 24 places away or is that wrong?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now