Oversubscription appeal - Q about medical info

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Persephone08

Oversubscription appeal - Q about medical info

Post by Persephone08 »

Hi

I've posted the specifics in the Appeals Box but I have a bit of a tricky situation which I'm not sure how to navigate. DH has a serious health condition which has a bearing on why we really need this particular school for DC (and why the location of the allocated school is unsuitable.) Whilst DH understands the need to draw this to the attention of the panel - and agrees that I can take his medical documentation on the day to substantiate this - he, understandably feels quite uncomfortable about his medical records being included in the paperwork, because of their sensitive nature. Is it acceptable to take hard copies to prove the validity of what you are saying - but for them not to be photocopied and included in the 'pack?' I'm really unsure what to do and would really value some advice. Thanks!
Etienne

Re: Oversubscription appeal - Q about medical info

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

So sorry to hear about the situation.
Is it acceptable to take hard copies to prove the validity of what you are saying - but for them not to be photocopied and included in the 'pack?'
You may have seen our general guidance here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Technically the panel could refuse to accept late evidence. They could take a decision without it, or adjourn the case to a later date (perhaps September).
I doubt that they would in your particular case - but I can't offer any guarantees.
I suspect there's unlikely to be a problem with a single letter - but the lengthier the late evidence is, the more difficult it becomes for the panel who are usually 'working against the clock'.

It's worth noting that those involved in appeals are used to handling highly sensitive information.
It would be an offence under data protection legislation if such information were not kept securely and not destroyed as soon as it is no longer required for the purpose for which it was provided.
DH has a serious health condition
Although it's very important the panel should be aware of your family circumstances, and see some evidence, my advice would be to try and focus as much as possible on how the general family situation will impact on the child.

Is there evidence from primary school that the child is upset by your circumstances, and would they be willing to write in support of your reasons for wanting a place at the school you are appealing for?
Etienne
Persephone08

Re: Oversubscription appeal - Q about medical info

Post by Persephone08 »

Thank you, Etienne. That's really helpful and makes me think we should try to include some information with the original submission. Yes, the HT will also cover this in their supporting statement too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now