Chance of Skinners' place from waiting lists?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LocalTWmum1

Chance of Skinners' place from waiting lists?

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

Hi DS was offered TWGSB, his second preference, with a score of 359. His first choice by a mile was Skinners' School. Does anyone have a view on the likelihood of him getting a place from waiting lists?

There are so many variables to contend with under their new criteria, but my understanding is that should they drop the 360 threshold, it will go right down to 323, not through the score rankings eg 359 then 358 etc as previously? Does anyone have a view on whether this will actually happen?

We live 1.2 miles from the school in central TW. Under the new criteria, a boy who had just scraped a pass living 1 mile from the school will get a place ahead of my son if the threshold falls, is this correct? What about a boy on 323 just outside of the initial catchment areas with a brother currently at the school. Who gets the place then?

We have put his name down on the waiting list and perhaps if we are patient a place might come up. But I'm not feeling hugely hopeful I have to say - it all seems very weighted against us. His score would have got him a place in two out of the last three years and we are certainly very local to the school. Any input hugely appreciated please :)
Sevenoaks mum

Re: Chance of Skinners' place from waiting lists?

Post by Sevenoaks mum »

There are boys in the so called new inner area, ie Sevenoaks and surrounding villages, who scored above the 360 threshold and didn't get a place. In our primary school alone there are 8 boys who scored 370 or above and didn't get a place in either Skinners or Judd. These boys will be ahead of your son on the waiting list because of the magical 360 pass mark. Personally I would have thought your chances of getting in are slim but what do I know?!?!

As I understand it your assumptions are correct though, once the 360 scorers have all got places it then goes on distance from the school and a 323 pass who lives on the doorstep would get in ahead of a 359 further out.
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

Sevenoaks mum wrote:There are boys in the so called new inner area, ie Sevenoaks and surrounding villages, who scored above the 360 threshold and didn't get a place. In our primary school alone there are 8 boys who scored 370 or above and didn't get a place in either Skinners or Judd. These boys will be ahead of your son on the waiting list because of the magical 360 pass mark. Personally I would have thought your chances of getting in are slim but what do I know?!?!

As I understand it your assumptions are correct though, once the 360 scorers have all got places it then goes on distance from the school and a 323 pass who lives on the doorstep would get in ahead of a 359 further out.
I asked the head of admissions at Skinners' and I think you are wrong - they won't extend the catchment area beyond what has already been established in the first round. The children you mention must have been just outside it, as otherwise they would have certainly got in with those scores. As I understand it there are many disappointed children from parts of Sevenoaks and surrounding villages who have missed out on super selective places this year, thanks to new Skinners' criteria and the massively high Judd cut off of 376. Skinners' admissions advised that their threshold score drops straight down to 323 if they have spaces to fill after taking everyone scoring 360+ from within the catchments established in the first round and from there they allocate based on on sibling link, then distance as the crow flies from the school. She confirmed there are no teachers with children who scored below 360.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

LocalTWmum1 wrote:
Sevenoaks mum wrote:There are boys in the so called new inner area, ie Sevenoaks and surrounding villages, who scored above the 360 threshold and didn't get a place. In our primary school alone there are 8 boys who scored 370 or above and didn't get a place in either Skinners or Judd. These boys will be ahead of your son on the waiting list because of the magical 360 pass mark. Personally I would have thought your chances of getting in are slim but what do I know?!?!

I asked the head of admissions at Skinners' and I think you are wrong - they won't extend the catchment area beyond what has already been established in the first round. The children you mention must have been just outside it, as otherwise they would have certainly got in with those scores. As I understand it there are many disappointed children from parts of Sevenoaks and surrounding villages who have missed out on super selective places this year, thanks to new Skinners' criteria and the massively high Judd cut off of 376. Skinners' admissions advised that their threshold score drops straight down to 323 if they have spaces to fill after taking everyone scoring 360+ from within the catchments established in the first round and from there they allocate based on on sibling link, then distance as the crow flies from the school. She confirmed there are no teachers with children who scored below 360.
It's not a question of the catchment being established in the first round. There is a fixed priority area, for which 140 places are reserved - here:

http://www.skinners-school.co.uk/uploads/Map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously some further out children didn't get places in the first round, because once you're above 360 and in the priority area, it's on distance. In the second round I would guess a fair number of those would get places. There is also a sibling preference: in each successive year, I would think that would become less of a factor overriding distance?

It's tough if you're on 359 though - if there were any places left over, it would be on distance for those scoring between 323 and 359.
AnniePH

Post by AnniePH »

My understanding was the same as the OP's I must admit. We are in Goudhurst and considering Skinners as an option alongside Cranbrook School for DS for next year. But Sorrel, your explanation makes sense too. Confusing for lots of us for sure :?
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

AnniePH wrote:My understanding was the same as the OP's I must admit. We are in Goudhurst and considering Skinners as an option alongside Cranbrook School for DS for next year. But Sorrel, your explanation makes sense too. Confusing for lots of us for sure :?
Yes, I agree with the OP (and Sevenoaksmum) too - I think we're saying the same thing in different ways! Definitely see what happens in April - there can be lots of change as people accept independent school places.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Btw re the OP's question 'What about a boy on 323 just outside of the initial catchment areas with a brother currently at the school. Who gets the place then? ' - as I understand it, the 140 inner places and 20 outer places are treated separately. If everyone scoring 360 in the inner area gets a place (which they expected to happen), then it would go to 323-359 in the inner area for the remainder. Siblings and staff children first, then distance. So you'd lose out to an inner area sibling with 323, even if they were further away, but not the outer area one. But if there were surplus outer area places, they'd go to <360 in the outer area until that was exhausted.
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

Yes, agree, think we are talking about the same thing in different ways. We'll sit and wait it out and see what happens. It's easier I imagine to get information on waiting list positions from the schools directly once they manage their own lists after 24th April, rather than from KCC now who probably aren't allowed to tell us anything? It'll certainly be an interesting few weeks and months as this all shakes out, that's for sure :roll:
Mamabear75

Post by Mamabear75 »

LocalTWmum1 wrote:Yes, agree, think we are talking about the same thing in different ways. We'll sit and wait it out and see what happens. It's easier I imagine to get information on waiting list positions from the schools directly once they manage their own lists after 24th April, rather than from KCC now who probably aren't allowed to tell us anything? It'll certainly be an interesting few weeks and months as this all shakes out, that's for sure :roll:
Hi there,

Just wondering what the outcome was as we are in a very similar position this year and unsure whether to hold out in case of a place at Skinners' or just forget it now and redirect plenty of positive attention on the realistic alternative (TWGSB in our case)
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Skinners didn't offer to anyone below 360 this year but it was the first year of the new system, so there's not much data to go on.