Cranbrook School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AnniePH

Cranbrook School

Post by AnniePH »

Doesn't appear much on here, but I thought it would be useful to let people know about the Cranbrook School cut off this year which was 334. Last year was 329 and the year before 346. Seems to be staying very low which is good news - certainly far lower than initial expectations given the tiny intake of 30 now 60.
redbear444

Re: Cranbrook School

Post by redbear444 »

Thanks for the info, AnniePH. I wasn't sure how the cut-off would be affected. The Priority Area is still small. Do you have children there?
AnniePH

Post by AnniePH »

No, but it's definitely an option for us for next year's intake. Reviews remain really mixed though on the school. Do you?
redbear444

Post by redbear444 »

My eldest dd has accepted a place for this Sept. She put it as her first choice. I think it will be a good fit for her.
AnniePH

Post by AnniePH »

On what basis did you choose it as her first priority? My son is really sporty and also loves art/DT. I keep hearing about all the sweeping funding cuts in non-core areas like these. I'd be really interested in your opinions and thoughts about the school as it is now. We have visited it on a couple of occasions and liked the ethos and impressed with students we met and pastoral side. Bit tatty, but that's not just Cranbrook I guess, other state schools are very similar!
redbear444

Post by redbear444 »

My dd is also artistic and sporty. She put her choices down in the order of where she thought she would feel happiest.
AnniePH

Post by AnniePH »

redbear444 wrote:My dd is also artistic and sporty. She put her choices down in the order of where she thought she would feel happiest.
Best way to choose! Good luck to your daughter. Do you have a view on whether the current 11+ intake of 60 is mostly from local state primaries or are there kids now from nearby prep schools joining at this age? Or are they largely still waiting until 13+ entry? We are state primary. Seems a real mix but do wonder how local preps will be affected when the traditional 13+ entry intake drops again and again over coming years.
redbear444

Post by redbear444 »

I don't know what the mix will be. I guess I'll find out in September. I wonder if the school would give you that info if you asked (after they have finalised their allocations)?

Anybody else have any thoughts?
redbear444

Post by redbear444 »

I pm'd you, AnniePH. Feel free to pm me for a chat.
bellabelly

Post by bellabelly »

My twin boys are in Year 7 at Cranbrook. There are 60 Y7 students and plenty of them are from Dulwich Prep and from the local state primary schools. Not sure if there are many from the other local prep schools but currently, students can still join in Year 9 through the 13+ entry.

My boys are very happy there and seem to be coping OK with the step up to secondary school and more homework, longer days etc, so on those grounds, I would recommend. To me, the facilities and grounds seem wonderful but I didn't look round any other grammar schools so I don't know how they compare to others in the area.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now