KM KL ML NM OO PR

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SummersLazy

KM KL ML NM OO PR

Post by SummersLazy »

KM KL ML NM OO PR ...
it’s GL familiarisation booklet’s question. QV is the answer. Can someone explain me how please.
Deb70

Re: KM KL ML NM OO PR

Post by Deb70 »

Recommend GL "Verbal Reasoning Parents Guide". It explains how to work out all the VR question types (and they say tuition isn't essential, hahaha)
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Are you sure you've typed it totally correctly?
I often find with these pairs that the first and second of the pair are separate. So to me it looks as though the first of each pair should be: KLMNOPQ but that assumes you've typed the second pair incorrectly.
Then the second one of each pair should be: MLLMORV because it's minus one letter forward then the same letter (zero forward) then one letter forward then one plus one (two) forward then three then four. I think it's mean though having the MLLM at the start of that list. Is that really in an 11+ question?
If you've typed it right then I can't work it out but if it's KM LL ML NM OO PR QV then I think that might work.
SummersLazy

Post by SummersLazy »

This is question 50 of VR familiarisation paper 1 GL publication. Thanks loobylou that’s what I had observed as well and second in series must’ve been a typo. I had to confirm before I blame GL.
patricia

Post by patricia »

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

KM KL ML NM OO PR

This type of question is based on two sequences, not necessarily connected

First of each pair = sequence 1
Second of each pair = sequence 2

Sequence 1 = Every other letter

K to M = +2
M to O = +2
O + 2 = Q

Sequence 2

M to L = minus 1
L to L = 0
L to M = + 1
M to 0 = + 2
0 to R = + 3
R plus 4 = V.

Patricia
SummersLazy

Post by SummersLazy »

Try having first part in normal single increments K L M N O P Q...
I got a reply from GL ...

Good Morning *****,,

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention, you are correct, yes, it is a typo, the second pair of letters in Q50 should read LL and not KL, which throws the solution rule out of synch.

We will get this amended as soon as possible so as not to cause any unnecessary inconvenience.

Kayleigh Thornton
Customer Service Advisor, GL Assessment

T: +44 (0)330 123 5375 | F: +44 (0)330 123 5471 | E: info@gl-assessment.co.uk
http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn

Our SEN Assessment Toolkit covers Dyslexia, Literacy, Mental Health and Numeracy. Email us for a free consultation!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 12 March 2019 02:11
To: Customer Services <Customer.Services@gl-assessment.co.uk>
Subject: Typo? In familiarisation booklet VR

Hello

I’m a parent and I found the question number 50 in VR familiarisation booklet 1 GL Assessment 11+, a bit of a pickle and discussed with friends. Could it be a possible typo?
KM KL ML NM OO PR
Answer being QV
MLLMNOPQ is-1,0,+1,2,3,4 for second alphabet.
KLMNOPQ makes sense for first alphabet

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone
This email, including any attachment, is private and confidential. It should not be read, copied, disclosed or otherwise used by any person other than the intended recipient(s). If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free. We do not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required please request a hard copy version. GL Education Group Limited, Registered in England. Registration Number: 02603456. Registered Office: 1st Floor, Vantage London, Brentford, TW8 9AG, United Kingdom
patricia

Post by patricia »

Hi SummersLazy

That was a prompt reply from GL, well done to them.

Over the years I have emailed various publications pointing out their "errors." Some change, some ignore and carry on with the mistake.

Although the question and answer is worktable in its current form, it is of course, GLs prerogative if they want to change the letters/sequence.

Patricia
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Very responsive of GL.

Having snatched back all this business they are obviously keen to hold onto it.

But I am astonished that nobody has picked this up before.

This is the sample paper that surely parents applying for HBS, DAO, SW Herts and Bucks will all be looking at? DG
SummersLazy

Post by SummersLazy »

patricia wrote:Hi SummersLazy

That was a prompt reply from GL, well done to them.

Over the years I have emailed various publications pointing out their "errors." Some change, some ignore and carry on with the mistake.

Although the question and answer is worktable in its current form, it is of course, GLs prerogative if they want to change the letters/sequence.

Patricia
My hunch was this question stood out from the rest of its group. My DD was quiet certain it’s a typo. All the other questions had 1 easy sequence paired with an easy/difficult one except this making it difficult/difficult. Alas she’ll always find a pattern with anything you throw at her.