GCSEs 2019

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loobylou

Re: GCSEs 2019

Post by loobylou »

Chemistry and maths finished here this week. Dd has tests in a couple of subjects this week and is still getting lots of homework which she finds quite helpful. She still seems quite relaxed about things - long may it last.
She did inform us this week that she has decided against doing an EPQ and will instead be taking AS French at the end of year 12. She has been talking about it for a few weeks since she was offered the opportunity but I didn't think she'd decide to do it (6 months ago she was saying she couldn't wait to give up French :roll: ) but she's suddenly decided she loves it. She is at least starting with the intention of dropping it if it proves too difficult/time consuming.
Any idea how hard the first year of French A level is?!
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

DS1 doing his GCSE’s this year with 4 younger sisters my stress levels will be heightened until 2026!

Anyway he’s just done his mocks and somehow he’s got 7,8,9’s and an A for further maths.....oh and a 5 for French lol

Apparently he did revise in half term after all!!!

:lol:
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

So dd now has her GCSE PE Practical assessment and GCSE German Oral out of the way .. phew

Only a couple of weeks until they break up for study leave - scary !!

Still getting alot of English homework due in the following day but fingers crossed that soon fizzle out.

How's everyone else dc's doing?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Dd seems to be ok. They are having quite a lot of tests at the moment which in one way she finds frustrating as she is not revising in the way she would choose but revising to specific tests but in another way she finds reassuring as she is doing well. Only music performance and composition are out of the way here; French oral will be after the Easter holidays. She doesn't break up for study leave till the 2nd week of May.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Tough times. He’s doing a lot of revision and sick of the whole thing already.
Salsa
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

1st day of Easter Hols and dd is at school and at school she will be for the rest of this week for revision sessions.

She likes the fact that it may not be her usual subject teacher and is always interested in another person's perspective.

I did ask her if she's had enough and she said yes .. but it's the thought of extended summer holidays that's keeping her going :lol:
salsa

Post by salsa »

Crackerjax wrote:1st day of Easter Hols and dd is at school and at school she will be for the rest of this week for revision sessions.

She likes the fact that it may not be her usual subject teacher and is always interested in another person's perspective.

I did ask her if she's had enough and she said yes .. but it's the thought of extended summer holidays that's keeping her going :lol:
I know some schools do this. Do they have a budget to pay for extra teachers?

My son's school send us an email saying they are expected to revise for 6 hours per day during the "Easter revision period". I think that's harder than going to school as you have to have the discipline to do it. So far, my son has managed 2 hours.

Salsa
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 is at school for an 'Art day' today - he sent a message at 10.09 to say that he had finished what he felt he needed to do(!), but that the teacher had found them something else to occupy the rest of the time - to 3pm :shock:

At the moment, we are sitting in our respective local Costas. (At least I am in the one near home and by now he is probably in the one in the outpatient department at the hospital, as he needs a blood test and thinks he booked it for this afternoon...).

He doesn't seem to mind having to go in to school today, but I think he is quite glad not to have 'qualified' to be invited in for the other revision sessions which are being run over the holidays :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

The answer is "no" Salsa the majority do not have the extra budget to pay teachers to come in during the hols. They come in to help the students. Having said that many schools are stopping this as students have been found to rely on it rather than taking responsibility for their own revision from earlier on.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

salsa wrote:I know some schools do this. Do they have a budget to pay for extra teachers?
DS has some extra sessions over Easter and weekends and parents were asked to contribute £5 voluntary contribution per subject.

Seems fair enough.