Moving to Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ManishaG

Moving to Bucks

Post by ManishaG »

Hi - My daughter will appear for her 11+ tests in September 2019. We live in Harrow and would like to send my daughter to Dr. Challoners High School. Based on where we live currently we do not stand any chances of getting into this school. Assuming my daughter is able to get the requisite score in the test (which we will known on Oct 18, 2019) we plan to move to the catchment area subsequently. If we move within 1 mile of the school after October 31 but before 1 March (say in February 2020) what are the chances that my daughter will get into the school in the second list. I appreciate that she would not be considered in the first list on March 1, 2020. However will she be considered in the second list out sometime in April? Is this too big a risk to take or is it fairly certain that she would get into the school in the second list based on historic data. Also is it legitimate for us to move after Oct 31, 2019 on taking a new leasehold house and continue to own a house in Harrow. Would appreciate any insights you can provide. Thank you.

Regards
kenyancowgirl

Re: Moving to Bucks

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think you need to read the admissions criteria of the school in question very carefully. I am no Bucks expert but I am fairly certain that they will NOT accept you leasing a house and keeping hold of your own house in Harrow as that is absolutely classic action in what they class as address fraud. :shock: :shock:

Hopefully a Bucks expert will come along soon and give you more clarity.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

One of the requirements if you have moved from elsewhere is this:
Evidence to show that you have disposed of your previous property or that it is no longer available for you and your family to live in (e.g. a solicitor’s letter confirming you have completed on the sale or a signed formal lease agreement to show you have leased it).
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Again I’m not a Bucks expert, but from past years moving later may also be a big risk as I don’t think there’s much movement in places for the second round. You could move and still not get a place.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ManishaG wrote:what are the chances that my daughter will get into the school in the second list. I appreciate that she would not be considered in the first list on March 1, 2020. However will she be considered in the second list out sometime in April? Is this too big a risk to take or is it fairly certain that she would get into the school in the second list based on historic data. Also is it legitimate for us to move after Oct 31, 2019 on taking a new leasehold house and continue to own a house in Harrow. Would appreciate any insights you can provide. Thank you.
This would be an almost insanely high-risk strategy for these reasons:

- Although there has historically been a little movement in the allocation distances for DCHS after 1st March (See the link in the first post on this thread https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=54212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), there is absolutely no guarantee that there will be in future. Distances for all the Bucks grammars are becoming very much tighter every year.

- The alternative school would, in the past, have been Chesham Grammar but the distance for that has shrunk to tiny proportions this year, and barely reaches some parts of the Chalfonts. It could well shrink further next year.

- From this year's allocation distances, I can't see any grammar school - mixed or single-sex - that she would then be allocated which is within reasonable travelling distance.

- The worst-case scenario is that no grammar place at all is available in the second round, and she would then be allocated either the Amersham School or Chalfonts Community College (both Upper Schools, not Grammar.)

- As kcg and hermie have pointed out, any move to a rented house in Bucks while you retained a house in Harrow would indeed be subjected to the very closest scrutiny.

My advice: don't embark on this white knuckle ride. Stay put and look at the many excellent comprehensives on your doorstep in Harrow.

P.S. I have moved this to the Bucks section for you.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sally-Anne wrote:
ManishaG wrote:what are the chances that my daughter will get into the school in the second list. I appreciate that she would not be considered in the first list on March 1, 2020. However will she be considered in the second list out sometime in April? Is this too big a risk to take or is it fairly certain that she would get into the school in the second list based on historic data. Also is it legitimate for us to move after Oct 31, 2019 on taking a new leasehold house and continue to own a house in Harrow. Would appreciate any insights you can provide. Thank you.

- As kcg and hermie have pointed out, any move to a rented house in Bucks while you retained a house in Harrow would indeed be subjected to the very closest scrutiny.

My advice: don't embark on this white knuckle ride. Stay put and look at the many excellent comprehensives on your doorstep in Harrow.
Or, of course, commit to the enterprise and move to within catchment, lock, stock and barrel, now. That way, there would be no problem of submitting your CAF on time from a local address and with no property elsewhere but rather too close to guarantee not attracting Bucks CC's attention :) .

At the moment, where are you intending her to go, should she not qualify for grammar in the Bucks transfer test?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now