top total mark for the 11+ in Rugby?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jacquie

Re: top total mark for the 11+ in Rugby?

Post by jacquie »

kenyancowgirl wrote:They haven't given you the ranking the last two years until after NAD, to be fair, my point was that the score is irrelevant, it is where your child comes in the cohort that is important. One year getting a very low score (which will then be standardised) will get a child a place, the next year a very high score (which will then be standardised) will be needed - the cohort and your childs relative position within it is the deciding factor, not their actual score.
Absolutely. However, that didn't answer the question I was asked.

What is NAD?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

National Allocations Day
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Not "Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide" then :mrgreen:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

jacquie wrote:Not "Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide" then :mrgreen:
Not in this context! :wink:
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

kenyancowgirl wrote:They haven't given you the ranking the last two years until after NAD, to be fair, my point was that the score is irrelevant, it is where your child comes in the cohort that is important. One year getting a very low score (which will then be standardised) will get a child a place, the next year a very high score (which will then be standardised) will be needed - the cohort and your childs relative position within it is the deciding factor, not their actual score.
I asked a friend whose son took the exam this year if they had ranking this year. As I remember a few years back, when parents got the scores in October they were told the ranking/position of their boy or girl, so that you could work out roughly if they were above 120 they had a place. That was pretty helpful for parents. She replied to my email today:

They don’t score them per area and gender anymore. Think his score was in the top 3% for boys though

So what do they do now regarding ranking then and how is it helpful if it is not as it was- boys and girls per Rugby for example?
Am19

Post by Am19 »

Hi
How does your friend know her son is in the top 3% of boys? The scores we received is out of all children that took the test. Did I miss anything? Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

They do score them per area and gender now, they just haven't shared that personalised information with parents when they notify them of their childs score in October, for the last couple of years.

There is a link somewhere (which I haven't time to find, I'm afraid) to the entire spreadsheet from WCC which shows the scores and ranks (anonymised) - but obviously if you know your childs score you can see where they fell.

It is very difficult but all you can say is that your child should usually be one of the top few in their primary school to be in with a chance - and hope that their primary school performs generally better than others.
darkmuseuk

Post by darkmuseuk »

This one shows the ranking based on score:
https://apps.warwickshire.gov.uk/api/do ... CC-699-941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

When trying to gauge how well your child is on track for the 11+ exam, I've heard all sorts of comments from tutors (via the friends that use them) that you need to be scoring above x% to be in with a chance. Problem is, the x% varies from tutor to tutor! One friend was told their child was doing well, and a score of 60% was on track, only to end up missing out on a grammar place by quite a margin, missing out on their catchment school due to living rurally, being allocated a school they hadn't even considered and don't want, and now appealing whilst scrabbling to sit a late entrance exam for an independent school (having missed out on any scholarships and bursaries that might have been available). It's such a lottery.

My experience is that you grab every chance you have (we put our son forward for 11+, Ashlawn MFL, and the entrance exam for the nearby independent school along with bursary application as we could never afford the fees). I did my research and worked out which local comp would be our most likely based on previous years' admissions data, and made our peace with that. We did practice papers at home as we couldn't afford a tutor. We were lucky enough to have choices at the end of all that, but I like to think we'd have been content with any result.

If it's any help, I reckon (fag packet maths) that our son probably achieved between 70% and 80% on his 11+ - he'd been doing slightly better on test papers at home, but got stuck on the maths paper on the day and didn't finish (it was usually his best score, ended up being his worst so he must have missed quite a chunk). He scored 236. Hope this is helpful.
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Am19 wrote:Hi
How does your friend know her son is in the top 3% of boys? The scores we received is out of all children that took the test. Did I miss anything? Thanks
the chart was kindly posted by darkmuseuk:

[/quote]This one shows the ranking based on score:
https://apps.warwickshire.gov.uk/api/do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... CC-699-941

his score:247 his position:179 number of children sitting exam:3369

I guess she worked out his position % from the chart info
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now