Waiting list process for lower preference school (Tiffin)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WParkMum

Waiting list process for lower preference school (Tiffin)

Post by WParkMum »

Hello, my DD has been offered our first preference school of Nonsuch, which we have formally accepted. However, due to a number of reasons, we are now considering asking to be put on the waiting list of Tiffin (we fall in the designated area). However, DH is concerned that asking to be placed on the waiting list of our lower preference school will jeopardise the Nonsuch place our DD has, despite Kingston Council Admissions assuring me that the place in Nonsuch is safe as we have accepted it.

Does anyone have any experience of this, or can provide confirmation that the place in Nonsuch is secure in the event that we ask to be put on the waiting list for Tiffin?

Does anyone know how the process works and when we'll find out where we are on the waiting list for Tiffin or the score our DD got?

Many thanks..... (yes I am a worrier!)
streathammum

Re: Waiting list process for lower preference school (Tiffin

Post by streathammum »

Is Kingston your home LEA? Because if it is, and they have said you can apply to another school without jeopordising your current school, why wouldn't you believe them? They are certainly better placed to advise on this than strangers on the internet!

Fwiw, I went through the same process as you a couple of years ago, albeit in a different area (and be aware that different areas have different rules). We got our first choice, changed our minds, applied to a new school (as it happened it had been our second choice but that's irrelevant once you've been offered a higher choice school) and waited for a place. Once the place came up we were offered it and had the opportunity to decline but didn't.

I don't know of any LEA that would withdraw an existing offer just because you're on the waiting list of another school. Many people who did not get their first preference on offer day have accepted a lower preference school and are waiting for a place from a waiting list.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

being on the waiting list for any school does not affect the offer you have received for another school.
WParkMum

Post by WParkMum »

Thanks streathammum. Yes, Kingston is our home LEA. I thought I'd ask the Forum to back up what my LEA have said (LEAs don't always give you the correct information from our experience!).

Thanks for your sharing your experience (appreciate the caveat with different areas having different rules) and thanks for the logical explanation in last paragraph. Think I was second guessing myself!
Jushy80

Post by Jushy80 »

I’m in a similar position but Kingston is not our LEA, it’s surrey. Apparently Surrey have put us on Tiffin’s waiting list but gave no idea what my daughter’s score is. We’ve accepted Wallington which was number 2 and Tiffin no 3. Don’t really know what the status is but waiting list won’t affect the offer you’ve accepted.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now