Diversity at HBS

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Diversity at HBS

Post by Daogroupie »

Choco,

If you read the thread you can see that I was responding to the post about HBS and not the school in Birmingham post. DG
Choco

Post by Choco »

Apologies. As your comment came after several which related to the same incident which was in Birmingham, I thought you were responding to the immediately previous posts. I apologise.

And to recent posters, I dont think it helps anyone to start making criticisms of different ethnicities. If there is a problem with school admissions I think it lies in thesystem itself, not with any individuals or groups.

Currently, the system of selection purely by score, in a geographical area where some parents are motivated and aspirational, has resulted in increased competition for places from a wide geographical area, which in order to gain one, seems to increasingly need greater and greater effort and preparation. Whilst one can argue that the hard work and effort put in by those who try hardest should be rewarded (and assuming enough intelligence to start with, it does now seem that beyond that it's the levels of effort put into preparation that matter) it really is questionable whether the levels of effort now reached, are acceptable or positive for the children concerned. Schools have to say that preparation or tutoring is not required, but everyone knows that it is rife and without it chances are extremely slim. The fact that some people are willing to engage in years and years of preparation or long journeys does not make the system right, or one which gives the school a better intake or children a better education.
SummersLazy

Post by SummersLazy »

Deb70 wrote:
Rather a poor example if you are trying to show that Asian parents are not pushy :lol:
I don’t think you saw the complete series. Both pushy and laid back withered away towards the finals. Only the true talent could survive. Which is true with these multi level exams.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Indeed I did not watch the entire series! It is bad enough having to put my children through the horrible process that the eleven plus has become, without watching such things for entertainment. I think all children are entitled to the best education, not just the more academically able. I look at my children's lovely friends and feel so sad for them that they are going to end up at our local school (negative progress8 score) whilst my child goes to an amazing school with fantastic opportunities. Of course I am here to look after my own children's interests, but it really saddens me that the education system fails so many of our children. Spending years of their childhood preparing for exams is totally wrong as far as I'm concerned; it doesn't show a "good work ethic", it's cruel. Just my opinion though.
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

Probably ' gora' is the brown 'equivalent ' of ' paki'.

My nephew was definitely not very pleased when he was called a paki in his predominantly white primary school. The teachers were notified and soon the kids forgot colour and became friends ; usually that's what kids do if they are not exposed to racism from parents.

My son's white friends refused to hold his hands when he was in reception, he didn't mind that much but i shed a few tears and then shot a letter to the class teacher who dealt with it very well.

It's difficult when you are minority - but you live and you learn and you become stronger.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

resrtr wrote: My nephew was definitely not very pleased when he was called a paki in his predominantly white primary school.
:shock: :shock: Please tell me this was many years ago.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Middlesexmum wrote:
resrtr wrote: My nephew was definitely not very pleased when he was called a paki in his predominantly white primary school.
:shock: :shock: Please tell me this was many years ago.
Children only learn such things from parents and elders. If they are exposed to this at school it's up to us as their parents to explain that it isn't other children's fault, and show them how to be decent and respectful human beings.
greenhills1

Post by greenhills1 »

When I started this thread, I was looking more for first hand experience of HBS (I'm still hoping more HBS parents will share their experiences). The wider discussion around the topic has given me much food for thought. What I glean from the posts is that the grammar school environment is sufficiently robust and children get along well regardless of one's background.

I'm thankful for the forum members whom I have talked to via pm - from what I have heard so far, it seems like it really is a non-issue at HBS. We will take a leap of faith and go with HBS. I hope families from all kinds of ethnic groups and background will join us at HBS - we can make the school more diverse school if parents are more open minded and select the school on the basis of its merits.
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

Middlesex mum, was not that long ago, just 8 years back. But it's fine , both my nephew and my son are strong,resilient boys and look for common interests while making friends -
my son has more 'white' friends than 'brown' and race has never played a part in his friendships.
Rhinoo

Post by Rhinoo »

Apparently HBS are going to 3-mile catchment next year, so that might have an impact on the issue.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now