Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:36 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:59 am
Posts: 76
1. Got offered our 4th choice grammar school

2. Not on comprehensive waiting list at all

3. On waiting list for 1st and 2nd choice grammar

4. Logged an appeal

Received information pack and welcome letters from 4th offer to complete registration and saying we needed to acceptance the offer before the 15th.

If I do not accept that offer - will he lose his place or
IF I do accept that, I will be removed from the waiting list and I still have to wait for an appeal date as well which may only be in July/Aug/Sept?

I don't want to mess this up by making the wrong decision.

If our appeal is not successful and we do not get a space on the waiting list prior to school starting in Sept, will my DS still be able to go to his 4th choice if I do not return the documents for offer 4?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.


Last edited by Janita on Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 am
Posts: 2337
1 accept the offer
2 You only get offered one school.
3 You should remain on the waiting list for 1st and 2nd choice. What was your third choice?

If you reject or ignore the offered school you will lose your place.

https://www.essex.gov.uk/Education-Scho ... lists.aspx
https://www.southend.gov.uk/download/do ... 201920.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:02 pm
Posts: 1028
You must accept the school you've been offered. If you don't accept it your local authority does not have to offer you any other school and your only school options then would be private school or homeschooling.

Don't really understand your Point 2 - you would only ever receive one state school offer, either a grammar or a comp - you wouldn't have been offered both.

Accepting your 4th place offer won't accept your ability to go on the waiting list for your first and second choice schools. You should check with your local authority - in most local authorities you will be put automatically on the waiting list for your higher preference schools but some local authorities ask you to confirm that you want to go on a waiting list.

If you don't accept the school you've been offered now you won't be able to take it back later on. If you don't accept it now and you don't get a place on the waiting list or through the appeal you will end up without a school place.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:59 am
Posts: 76
Thank you. So to confirm to this 1st time 11+Virgin....

1. I accept my offer (Southend)
2. I email essex to say I want to stay on the waiting list
3. If waiting list move and I get an offer then from (1CRGS or 2KEGS)
4. I inform offer 4 that we will not be joining (and our space gets released to someone on their waiting list)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:52 pm
Posts: 148
Janita wrote:
Received information pack and welcome letters from 4th offer to complete registration and saying we needed to acceptance the offer before the 15th.

The statement above says "before 15th". Today is 15th March and I hope you have already accepted the offer.

Janita wrote:
If I do not accept that offer - will he lose his place or

Based on the statement above, it seems you have to accept the offer.

Some counties or councils or boroughs insist on explicit acceptance of offer, some others has a default accept. What does your council or borough say?

Janita wrote:

IF I do accept that, I understand I will be removed from the waiting list and I still have to wait for an appeal date as well which may only be in July/Aug/Sept?

If our appeal is not successful and we do not get a space on the waiting list prior to school starting in Sept, will my DS still be able to go to his 4th choice if I do not return the documents for offer 4?


What do you mean by "IF I do accept that, I understand I will be removed from the waiting list"? Why will you be removed from waiting list i.e. AFAIK, atleast NOT for Essex/Southend schools?

Did you cross check the admission guidelines for your council please?

If you accept your current offered place, that should stay in place till you are offered an alternate school place (grammar or otherwise).

Good luck with your appeal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:52 pm
Posts: 148
Janita wrote:
Thank you. So to confirm to this 1st time 11+Virgin....

1. I accept my offer (Southend)
2. I email essex to say I want to stay on the waiting list
3. If waiting list move and I get an offer then from (1CRGS or 2KEGS)
4. I inform offer 4 that we will not be joining (and our space gets released to someone on their waiting list)


Answering point by point:
1. Yes
2. You are by default on waiting list for choices above your offered choice. I don't think you need to send any more emails to Essex council secondary admissions team. BTW, those folks might be really really tied up at this point of time. I am happy to be contradicted by an other experienced forum member.
3. Yes
4. Again, your council should notify offer 4 school that you have been offered 1 or 2 choice. However, independently you can probably notify offer 4 school as well (for courtesy sake).

I am first timer 11+ virgin as well (as a matter of fact became aware of this group after wrapping up 11+ on my end. Alas, If I knew about it in advance, it would have been nice).

Please note that most of the information I have confidently posted so far is either collated via my personal 11+ journey experience in the past and later on through this forum over last 5-6 months reading literally hundreds of threads (and thousands of posts).


Last edited by ayparents on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:59 am
Posts: 76
Thanks so much for all the info!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 am
Posts: 2337
I would email your LA and the school right now accepting the offer and accept online if that is an option. I linked to Southend and Essex waiting list information in my last post. If you are in a different LA then you need to check their procedures for waiting lists as well.

You may also be on the waiting list for your third choice.

Your LA should be prepared to help you. If you are still uncertain ring on Monday but accept the offer tonight


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:52 pm
Posts: 148
@Janita,
Which county or council or borough do you fall under?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:28 pm
Posts: 6
@ ayparents

I really appreciate and thankful your efforts for sharing important data which help all parents to decide crucial decision in 11+ journey.

thanks again.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2019