Ricky Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

watdad

Ricky Appeal

Post by watdad »

Just had appeal at Ricky...

Ouch! Felt really uncomfortable from start to finish. Deputy Head formally addressed us before the appeal started and explained the procedure. He advised us not to question the governors statement on prejudice that the appeals were run to a tight schedule and we would not be allowed to overrun therefore any questioning may impact on the time we had to put our own case across.

Why did he need to do this?

I continued questioning him none the less and he answered like a politician, I asked about net capacity and he responded with answers about PAN! I persisted but was not even sure what his Max Capacity was other than they were at that number.

Felt like the panel just wanted to get us in and out, almost like they knew who they were letting this year and it wasn’t going to be us so why were we wasting their time. Was also the only school which challenged us on the order of our chosen schools? They also asked why we did not have written support from our primary school. I explained that we were told by the Head there was an agreement in Garston that no schools would support the appeal process. They said we were liars as they had received letters from other Heads about predicted sats.

If you go on their website they are even advertising for panel member to support their appeals process. Was told however before the appeal we are now number one on the waiting list but nor sure if I want it now, rather keep Queens!
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

sounds foul......
Hope one of your other options comes through
Bouga
watmum

Post by watmum »

Cor blimey Watdad, makes you want to tell Ricky they can stick their school place (once you get offered it, which of course you will, positive mental attitude and all that)

If it was not for the fact that Ricky is such a super school, mind you Queens is pretty impressive too, so it is probably a win-win??!
watdad

Post by watdad »

Exactly to be fair I doubt I would have appealed for Ricky if I knew about Queens before hand. I wasn’t one of our chosen schools but we got in through the back door by going on the CI list.

There exams success is similar (Ricky marginally better) but the ofsted report was slightly better for Queens, add to that the fact the travel is longer from Garston to Ricky than to Queens I really am in two minds.
tense

Post by tense »

Sounds a grim experience! Any idea when you will hear the results about this & your other appeals? You will probably end up with a choice!

I think Queens is a good school but it's size can be a little overwhelming for some. No idea how big Ricky is though...

T x
Sam

Post by Sam »

watdad,

I have sent you a pm.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The deputy head's remarks look unacceptable.

The school's net capacity should be stated in their written case.

There are grounds for a complaint to the ombudsman .....
Etienne
toony

Ricky appeal

Post by toony »

Same experience Watdad!

Did the Deputy also tell you not to shake hands with the panel? He said that to us and then it felt very awkward, especially as we got up and left - the panel sort of looked at us and then we walked out! It would have been better if the panel had sat opposite the door but we had to walk round their backs.

Also did the clerk say that there was no need to go through the school's case for prejudice as it was all in the written submission?

It very much felt like a conveyor belt from one room to the next, plus you could hear what they were saying in the room when you were waiting next door.

All in all very disconcerting and I didn't feel we had done our daughter justice in there.
watdad

Post by watdad »

Yes Toony it could have been the same appeal!

Etienne no mention of Net Capacity or the number of pupils currently at the school or class sizes, no map not even a copy of our appeal documents!

Very shoddy very badly run. I get you point re ombudsman but is it worth the hassle if we no longer think we want to send our child there?

Good riddance to bad rubbish is what I say I think they have developed an inferiority complex having fallen behind WGSB, WGSG, Parmiters and Clement Danes in most people’s choice of schools.

If the appeal is a reflection on their own standards they deserve their fall from grace. Can’t believe its not that long ago they were consider to be second to only Watford Boys / Girls in the area.

Tense I’m happy with Queens, it was a strategic vote not to put it third on my original choices in the first place.

Sounds weird but I always thought DS would find it tough to get in purely on academic at either of our first two choices but was confident he would do so at Queens therefore had a very good chance of getting in off the CI list.

I would have struggled sitting in front of an appeals panel and arguing our case knowing we had been given one of our choices. Particularly as Queens is a good match for the basis of our appeal. His grandmother is Spanish and we want him to go to an school which teaches Spanish.

Sam, sorry don’t know names of the panel, Toony might know?
toony

Ricky appeal

Post by toony »

Sorry can't remember their names.

One was young(ish) and a teacher in Bucks

The chair was a retired accountant

The third was a retired GP.

The admssions secretary took us up to the appeal room and explained the procedure - is that allowed Etienne?

Also would it be allowed for the Deputy to speak to you alone without the panel there? I presume he is not supposed to tell you not to cross question him on his statement!