WHSB Waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Haddey

WHSB Waiting list

Post by Haddey »

Hi,

I have just called the admission's office at WHSB and I was told they only have 4 spaces left (which means anyone on position 5th etc will not be allocated a place) I am not sure if this woman is trying to get me to give up my space on w/l; can someone please advise me on this?

Thank you very kindly
streathammum

Re: WHSB Waiting list

Post by streathammum »

I'm not sure what the admissions office meant by that comment. If there's already a waiting list then there can't be any 'spaces'.

Not everyone who's on the waiting list will accept a place if offered, so even if there are four 'spaces' now it's possible that the top four on the waiting list will decline them and then they would be offered further down the waiting list.

Also, spaces can become available at any time from now until September, so even if there are only four now, that doesn't mean that there will only be four offers made to the waiting list over the next few months.
Haddey

Post by Haddey »

streathammum wrote:I'm not sure what the admissions office meant by that comment. If there's already a waiting list then there can't be any 'spaces'.

Not everyone who's on the waiting list will accept a place if offered, so even if there are four 'spaces' now it's possible that the top four on the waiting list will decline them and then they would be offered further down the waiting list.

Also, spaces can become available at any time from now until September, so even if there are only four now, that doesn't mean that there will only be four offers made to the waiting list over the next few months.
Thanks Steatammum, I was surprised when the lady said that too. And I do understand that not everyone on the w/l will get offer but DS is currently 16th on w/l , just wanted to ask (admission office) is its worth waiting, I guess I was wrong.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

You need to contact the admissions team at Southend Borough Council (contact details posted at least twice on the forum, but here goes again :)
http://www.southend.gov.uk/download/dow ... 201920.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; page 3:
The School Admissions Team at the Council will be pleased to answer any questions you may have
regarding catchment areas, online admissions, completion of the Common Application Form, the allocation of places, waiting lists and the appeals process. Details of all the relevant contact points and telephone numbers are shown below.

Telephone:
The School Admission Team 01702 212934
Department for People 01702 215007
Email:
admissions@southend.gov.uk
).

The individual schools do not hold their waiting lists - the respective councils (Southend for all Southend Borough schools, Essex CC for all schools in their area) administer waiting lists until late August.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Haddey

Post by Haddey »

Hello everyone!
DS has been offered a place at WHSB. There will be a free space for someone else's DS at SHB. For everyone else's waiting, I wish you at the best.
Thanks everyone
TGSam

Post by TGSam »

Hi,

Any movements on the WHSB waiting list recently? Will the school reach out or the council?

Thanks
Tkegs

Post by Tkegs »

In my experience the WHSB Office will call you. This was however a week before the start of year 7 so there may be a cut off the council manage the process.
TGSam wrote:Hi,

Any movements on the WHSB waiting list recently? Will the school reach out or the council?

Thanks
TGSam

Post by TGSam »

Thanks Tkegs, I eagerly await that phone call! :)
Tkegs wrote:In my experience the WHSB Office will call you. This was however a week before the start of year 7 so there may be a cut off the council manage the process.
Haddey

Post by Haddey »

Tkegs wrote:In my experience the WHSB Office will call you. This was however a week before the start of year 7 so there may be a cut off the council manage the process.
TGSam wrote:Hi,

Thanks
Hi TGsam,
DS has was offered WHSB on 9th May and the call came from my council. DS was 32 on w/l on 26th March with a score of 347.14. (I had honestly lost hope on WHSB and was grateful that he at least had an offer with SHB)
Wishing you and your DS the very best.
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

From 32nd to zero. That’s a big shift !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now