CCHSG.How many based in local schools obtained entry?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FTP12

CCHSG.How many based in local schools obtained entry?

Post by FTP12 »

I am referring to local primary schools and not private, prep, boarding or independent schools.
ayparents

Re: CCHSG.How many based in local schools obtained entry?

Post by ayparents »

You need to raise a FOI for this sort of information.

Until and unless someone already has that sort of details.
Last edited by ayparents on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you are going to submit a request, make sure it is couched in sufficiently broad terms, e.g.How many girls in total from state primary schools in postcode areas, COx - COy were allocated a place on March 1st?, not, Please list how many girls from each of the state primary schools..., iyswim. Since the CSSE exam is opt-in, the numbers from any given primary, even the 'more desirable' ones, are likely to be low and the school may argue that e.g. disclosing that 1 girl from St.John"s Green was successful could be identifying and they would therefore refuse.

(Just picking the first Colchester primary school that came to mind, there - I have no idea whether 1, none, or every girl in year 6 usually goes to the grammar school :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Rhs900

Post by Rhs900 »

My daughter is in an excellent outstanding primary school in Colchester. She scored the highest in her class for the 11+ and still hasn’t got a place !!
Saffery13

Post by Saffery13 »

Does anyone think the Colchester schools will ever bring in a priority catchment area?
FTP12

Post by FTP12 »

Rhs900 wrote:My daughter is in an excellent outstanding primary school in Colchester. She scored the highest in her class for the 11+ and still hasn’t got a place !!
Same situation here!

I think they should introduce a catchment area like the other schools in Essex. I understand they the school wants the best of the best but the environment at CCHSG will not be what a lot of students are used to in terms of class size etc.
Rhs900

Post by Rhs900 »

I totally agree it would be interesting to see how many children form local primary schools are getting in to CCHSG.
Saffery13

Post by Saffery13 »

Does anyone know why Chelmsford introduced a catchment- it’s a fairly recent change?

I wish Colchester would!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Saffery13 wrote:Does anyone know why Chelmsford introduced a catchment- it’s a fairly recent change?

I wish Colchester would!
About 5 years ago...

Fed up with students falling asleep in class and not participating in extracurricular activities / parents who were only interested in exam results, not the 'life' of the school? A gross generalisation, but that kind of thing. Mass mobilisation of 'London' CSSE candidates' parents to mob the public meetings at KEGS and CCHS, dire prognostications of the schools going to the dogs, academically, once their DC were excluded, etc.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... es#p281174
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

One of my biggest bugbears is non local kids coming into Essex grammars. Colchester is a wonderful town. It really is. I'm Chelmsford born and bred but my heart goes to Colchester.

By sending your child up the A12 in a private coach and home again on a private coach (as the London Crowd often do) you don't contribute to the school, you don't contribute to the town. You don't do anything but take a space that should have gone to an Essex child.

I've said it before but in my daughters year there is at least one girl who falls asleep regularly, even now in year 9, she's falling behind. She can't possibly be benefiting from the school because she's so knackered all the time. Then there's the trips. They're bad enough if you're local (and I'm extremely local) the Ypres trip... The girls were in school in the small hours, then they were delayed coming back and not back til close to midnight. Imagine doing that, then having to travel back down the A12 and into London. Nope. Most adults would baulk at that. Why do it to a child.

Can you tell I get ranty about this? :D