KEFWS academic level

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bignose

KEFWS academic level

Post by Bignose »

I have heard from some that KEFWS is not academic enough, stating they give minimal homework and do not push on the brighter kids (eveidenced by their lower scores at GCSE vs KES/CHB . Is this true ? My DS is a bright boy who needs stimulation - would CHB or KES be a better choice for him ?
hermanmunster

Re: KEFWS academic level

Post by hermanmunster »

which GS you may be eligible for will depend where you live - do you know which catchment you are in?

a place at KES will depend on funding being available.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

If your son is in year 5 or below, check the catchments on the schools' websites. You could potentially still apply to the other school, but your son would need a very high score and there's no guarantee that there will be places available to out of catchment pupils.

KES is a different matter entirely. If you can afford the fees (or you qualify for a bursary) it might be a better bet. I don't know the school but my dd is at KEHS next door. They certainly do push them academically!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

GCSE results are more about the degree of selectivity of each school than anything else so I'd expect to see GCSE results converging from 2025.

As well as having the money for a KES place, there's also the question of IB.
lovelife123

Post by lovelife123 »

My DD now in year 10, got in on a high score and found primary school in year 6 academically unchallenging and was bored at times in lessons there-loved everything else.Since being at Fiveways she has certainly been pushed academically in class and gets plenty of homework.Being bored or not stimulated has never been an issue for her at KEFW-both academically and non-academically.
Bignose

Post by Bignose »

Thanks for replies. He is a year 6 boy so catchment not relevant. Got a good score so all 3 schools still an option via waiting list (and we can just about afford Kes)
My main worry is that he won't be stretched enough by teachers and peers at kefws but it sounds like they do actually push them hard (which he will thrive on) .
Anyone agree or disagree ?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Which school were you actually allocated?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bignose

Post by Bignose »

Hi
He was allocated kefws but just 1 point under chb score so very likely to get into chb on waiting list. But now we are actually feeling that kefws is the better option as long as it is stimulating enough....
He also got a scholarship for Kes but even so that will be a stretch for us
Still undecided.....
KenR

Post by KenR »

Bignose wrote:Hi
He was allocated kefws but just 1 point under chb score so very likely to get into chb on waiting list. But now we are actually feeling that kefws is the better option as long as it is stimulating enough....
He also got a scholarship for Kes but even so that will be a stretch for us
Still undecided.....
We were in the same situation many years ago - KECHB waiting list and KES Scholarship. We decided to stick with KEFW. No problem with academic challenge at KEFW. Turned out to be a very good decision. KEFW 6th form is very good with excellent facilities.
Bignose

Post by Bignose »

Thanks lovelife 123 and Ken r. Your input was helpful. Kefws it is then!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now