Advice from boys who sat Merchant Taylor's exam this year pl

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

coolmum123

Advice from boys who sat Merchant Taylor's exam this year pl

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi all,

My DS would like to sit the MT exam Jan 09 and to that end we are getting ready to do the prep for it. I requested past papers from Mt which I have received and my question is - are the actual exam papers in the same format as the sample papers? I can't seem to find any other maths papers / english papers in circulation for MT other than the ones I have been sent.
I ask because I heard that the exam was quite hard this year and can't understand why that would be unless they have changed the format? Or maybe I'm being a bit dim.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Kind regards

a confused but still coolmum!!
vas

Post by vas »

Not sure what you have in hand, but MT doesn't necessarily stick to a standard as such. Some of their old papers start with algebra in the first page, (just to simplify) and have even finished with simultaneous equation at the end in problem solving but last year my son said there were no algebra questions. Also he said it was relatively easy. Wouldn't worry too much.
PSP

Post by PSP »

Hi Coolmum

I have just had a chat with DS (who is starting at MTS in Sept), he said he found the English challenging but the Maths was quite easy. The paper format did not seem to follow to closely with the specimen papers that MTS sent to us.
Try and get hold of the Habs papers, we found them very good practice.
Good Luck, let me know if you need more info.

:)
PSP

Post by PSP »

Hi Coolmum
I read your pm, will pm you with more details tomorrow.

PSP
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now