Unsuccessful review 119

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Unsuccessful review 119

Post by Etienne »

Sebs wrote:This is very simple form compared to the online form which has separate sections for all 3 parts of the appeal and allows a typing space of 4000 words as a max limit. I am hoping that filling in a paper form will still be ok and should I stick to my original plan of having a short letter of submission as 4000 words in each section seem unreal?
Your short letter will be fine.
The reason for 4000 words is that they have to allow enough space for parents who think the more they write, the better their case!
To impose a strict limit on what an appellant can write would risk complaints and accusations of unreasonableness.
Also can you please advise what points I should be raising in the FCO section of the submission. At present I am thinking of raising concerns about what objective criteria was applied when deciding that the maximum possible academic evidence provided by the school does not explain the shortfall of marks and the extenuating circumstances should not have affected yr 6 as the yr 5 results were not affected. The HT have strongly supported us in the letter on both of these points.
Normally I would just stick to the onus being on the admission authority.
However, as the head has helpfully queried what objective criteria were used, and also mentioned the ECs issue, you probably ought to do the same.
Should I leave the other points I wish to raise for the hearing
Yes.
Not sure if I should include everything in the submission as the appeal Guide seem to want us to.
Don't worry. I had the same discussion with Woobywoo a year ago:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... it#p658496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It didn't stop him winning his appeal.
Can I still say that the onus of proof for FCO lies with the Admissions Authority and not the parents?
Yes! :)
Etienne
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Thanks Etienne,
Your advise as always is extremely helpful in clarifying doubts.
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Hi Etienne,
DS is sitting his mock SATs tests soon. Just wondering what sort of scores the appeal panel will be looking for?

His last score in November 2018 was Reading 111 Maths 113 - This was an Yr 6 Sats paper.

The school have mentioned on the support letter that his PUMA and PIRA in Summer Yr 5 were used to calculate his Maths, English and Spag ages as follows.

Chronological age 10.05
Maths: above 11.10 (don’t specify how much above)
English: above 11.06 (don’t specify how much above)
SPAg: 12.06

They don’t have any standardised or raw scores for these tests. Will these make sense to the appeal panel.

Thanks again!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sebs wrote: His last score in November 2018 was Reading 111 Maths 113 - This was an Yr 6 Sats paper.
A scaled score of 111-120 should be all right.
The school have mentioned on the support letter that his PUMA and PIRA in Summer Yr 5 were used to calculate his Maths, English and Spag ages as follows.

Chronological age 10.05
Maths: above 11.10 (don’t specify how much above)
English: above 11.06 (don’t specify how much above)
SPAg: 12.06

They don’t have any standardised or raw scores for these tests. Will these make sense to the appeal panel.
I suspect the average panel won't be familiar with Progress in Understanding Mathematics Assessment (PUMA) and Progress in Reading Assessment (PiRA), unless one of its members happens to be a primary school teacher who has used these tests.

SPAG is two years above chronological age, which looks fine to me.
With regard to Maths and English, if you go to:
https://www.risingstars-uk.com/media/Ri ... an19_2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and scroll down to page 7, the specimen report appears to include a standardised score in addition to the 'working at' age on page 6.

Perhaps the head or class teacher might be willing to:
• provide for the appeal panel a brief explanation of PUMA and PiRA to accompany their letter of support (nothing too lengthy - ideally less than one side of A4)
• explain for the panel the significance of "above 11.10" and "above 11.06". Does it mean these results were 'capped' and no higher age was possible?
• tell you why there is no standardised score.
Etienne
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Hi,
So for the SATs mocks he will need 111-120? And this will have to be reported as eg, 113 or 114 etc? What happens if this is lower than 111 for some reason?

For the PUMA and PIRA I remember she said that these were capped and no higher were possible. I will try to ask her again tho!

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sebs wrote:So for the SATs mocks he will need 111-120?
Ideally.
And this will have to be reported as eg, 113 or 114 etc?
Yes - a scaled score, not the raw mark.
What happens if this is lower than 111 for some reason?
It might raise some doubts. If this were to be the situation, it would help if the school could confirm at the end of April or the beginning of May that he is now working at 'significantly above the expected level' and expected to achieve a scaled score of 111-120.
If you go back to the headteacher's review form, there were separate columns for 100-110 and 111-120 at KS2. It seems likely that 111-120 is viewed as grammar school standard.
For the PUMA and PIRA I remember she said that these were capped and no higher were possible. I will try to ask her again tho!
No need, if that's what she's said. If the school were willing to write an update at the end of April or beginning of May, perhaps they could make it crystal clear for the panel that these ages were capped, and were the maximum possible.
Etienne
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Thanks Etienne,
Let’s hope all goes well with the mocks. My mind is running through all possibilities at the moment.

It will definitely be easier to get an explanation of PIMA PuRA nearer the time as I don’t want to demand more from the school right now. They have already been so helpful in this entire ordeal!

Many thanks for your help. I’m sure I will be back for more :)
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Hi Etienne,
Hope you are well. I have been wondering after going through another post here if we know what the criteria this year was for Moderation of the unsuccessful SR cases. Our SR papers do not mention anything about it. In previous years my understanding is that all cases of unsuccessful 119 go through Moderation? Maybe something changed this year but can’t find any notes on it!

Regards
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

my understanding is that all cases of unsuccessful 119 go through Moderation?
As you say, it was automatic for scores of 119 last year - whereas for 118 there was an additional requirement of a 2:1 HTR (headteacher recommendation) or higher.

I suspect what has happened is that the HTR requirement has now been added to scores of 119.
We have observed a tendency for the criteria for automatic moderation to be tightened each year.
Our SR papers do not mention anything about it.
Curiously, the criteria don't seem to be published (as far as we're aware) until the school case is issued a week or two before the appeal hearing.
Etienne
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Ok. Thanks. Maybe more information will come to light at a later stage.

Regards
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now