Dr Challoner high school vs SWBGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SR1016

Dr Challoner high school vs SWBGS

Post by SR1016 »

Hi All,
I am a mother of two DDs and we are looking to relocate to bucks. I would greatly appreciate your feedback on ranking of grammar schools in bucks .
Is DCHS better than SWBGS? Accordingly we can either move to Amersham or Marlow?

Also are girls schools more preferred over co-Ed?
What are the pros and cons? Please share your opinion so I can make informed decision.

Thanks in advance
Blue_Marigold

Re: Dr Challoner high school vs SWBGS

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Sorry I don’t know much about these schools. Can you visit the schools and see which one you like better?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

They are both excellent schools, neither is "better" than the other. Obviously the main difference is that one is mixed, but that is down to personal preference. Visit them & see which you prefer. SWBGS only offers out to a vary small distance so choose where to live carefully.
Also look at the local Upper Schools, which vary enormously in Bucks. Popular ones may also have very tight areas offered. Don't assume your girls will qualify for grammar school & make sure you are happy with the alternatives.
scary mum
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I don’t know anything about DCHS other then it is well regarded and highly sought after.

I have a dd (and a ds) at SWBGS and they are both very happy. I like mixed sex some people like single sex it’s personal preference.

Based on this years allocations you would need to live in Marlow or Marlow Bottom to get in (although when they move to 5 classes in year 7 that will ease the pressure). Marlow is not a cheap place to buy and Marlow Bottom only fractionally cheaper. Both would also put you in catchment for WHS if you wanted to keep a single sex option. Both would also put you in catchment for GMS and you would get in from both those locations.

Other then that SWBGS row if that is important to you and Marlow is a nice place to live.

I would suggest visiting both schools to get a feel for them. Finding the right school is much more then looking at league tables. Also visit GMS and whatever the Upper is in Amersham.
SR1016

Post by SR1016 »

Thanks Kittymum, scary mum and Blue_marigold for replying.

I agree visiting schools is best way to make informed decision but we are running out of time. Most opening evenings are in Sep/Oct and we have to move this summer as we also need to apply for the young DD primary school in December.

Also I did look at the upper schools as I agree we need to have local options open in case DD does not clear the exam.
Both Amersham and Marlow have good upper schools that's why I am confused.

Only difference for now is SWBGS is mixed and DCHS is girls. So wanted to get other parents opinion in general about choosing one over the other.
How have their experience been with either of them?

Many Thanks
SR1016 :)
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Hi

I think school choice is a very personal thing and I don’t think anyone could advise you which is right for you.

My children are very happy at SWBGS as are the children of all the people I know. It is heavily over subscribed (hence the 1.7 miles) so it would seem many other people feel the same. I’m sure the same could be said for DCHS.

Only difference for now is SWBGS is mixed and DCHS is girls. So wanted to get other parents opinion in general about choosing one over the other.

I think there are probably many differences between the two schools rather then single / mixed sex.

I would strongly advise you ring the schools and see if you can visit now.

Moving in the summer is also quite optimistic! Have you visited Marlow and Little Chalfont? Which do you prefer?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now