Camp Hill Girls schools uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nereida

Camp Hill Girls schools uniform

Post by Nereida »

Sorry if it's a wrong place to post.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy school logos separately and sew them onto the uniform?
In particular, that's for Camp Hill Girls. Their uniform list specifies everything with the logo from only two approved suppliers. Will cost hundreds of pounds. Can I get logos from somewhere and use standard uniform from supermarkets (will try to find the closest looking items), or am I running into trouble?

Title edited for clarity - moderator
hermanmunster

Re: Grammar schools uniform

Post by hermanmunster »

The uniform list on the school site does keep mentioning that items should not be got from other suppliers - they certainly seem keen on their logo!

My DD was far too small for the smallest size "school" tracksuit (not Camp Hill) and the suppliers ordered a much smaller plain one without the logo, didn't seem to be any problem over it but we simply couldn't get one the right size.

Parents of current pupils may be able to advise how strict they really are at KECHG also whether there is a second hand shop for uniform.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Definitely ask the school or other parents about second hand sales - they are usually pretty good. Also ask any parents of girls already there about what they actually NEED to have and HAVE to have, rather than just the list they produce. You may find that some of the uniform is in the "nice to have" category rather than actually ever worn....!!!

Also, if you are genuinely finding it difficult to afford the uniform, do approach the school head in confidence - most schools have some funds set aside for those from very low income families to support them.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I’m in a different region but I had this challenge. School jogging bottoms £28, Sports Direct trousers £7 plus £3 logo embroidered direct on by a local dry cleaning shop that had patterns for various schools. I found out by chance from another mum as it wasn’t something the school advertised. So it may be worth checking your local dry cleaners that also do repairs to see if they have a similar service.
Nereida

Post by Nereida »

How serious are schools about a particular model? For example, they require a "navy pleated skirt" from their supplier, of course. It has a logo on the belt area which can't be seen under the blouse (worn outside the skirt) and the blazer. Can I buy a similarly looking skirt (not exactly identical though) elsewhere? Official one cost £21, one from Asda/Sainsbury's is £7. Similar price difference with trousers (also logo on the belt).

Would this be possible, what do you think? I want to save a bit of cash in this (I believe) unimportant area but I also don't want my daughter to feel inferior to other and obviously don't want her to be afraid that she is doing something wrong.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

I don’t think anyone can tell you unless they’ve done the same themselves at CHG.

I thought about it for KEHS (logo on the skirt band) and I’m pretty sure dd’s logo is hidden anyway now they roll their skirts over! However I know dd in year 7 would have felt worried and ‘different’. I got a lot of stuff from the second hand sale though - both skirts were £3.50 each and lasted til the end of year 9!

For ds I did send him with a pair of plain joggers for PE and I think he was told off - once. I’m not sure if he’s worn them again without issue or not bothered though.

Why not ring up the school and see if they have second hand uniform for sale?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As we have said above, probably best to speak to the school and/or parents with children already there - hopefully someone from Camp Hill Girls will be along soon - in the meantime I will ask one of the Mods to edit your title to be more specific to Camp Hill Girls so that those parents will answer your queries.

You could ask the school office about seconda hand sales - in my experience these are even cheaper than the supermarkets, for actual logo'd stuff - and some ofit can be very good quality too!

crossed with carazycrofter
mitasol

Re: Camp Hill Girls schools uniform

Post by mitasol »

DfE School Uniform Guidance https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The importance of cost consideration
The School Admissions Code 2012, which is statutory guidance, states “Admission authorities must ensure that [...] policies around school uniform or school trips do not discourage parents from applying for a place for their child.” No school uniform should be so expensive as to leave pupils or their families feeling unable to apply to, or attend, a school of their choice, due to the cost of the uniform. School governing bodies should therefore give high priority to cost considerations. The governing body should be able to demonstrate how best value has been achieved and keep the cost of supplying the uniform under review.
When considering how the school uniform should be sourced, governing bodies should give highest priority to the consideration of cost and value for money for parents. The school uniform should be easily available for parents to purchase and schools should seek to select items that can be purchased cheaply, for example in a supermarket or other good value shop. Schools should keep compulsory branded items to a minimum and avoid specifying expensive items of uniform eg expensive outdoor coats.
Governing bodies should be able to demonstrate that they have obtained the best value for money from suppliers. Any savings negotiated with suppliers should be passed on to parents wherever possible. Schools should not enter into cash back arrangements. Exclusive single supplier contracts should be avoided unless regular tendering competitions are run where more than one supplier can compete for the contract and where best value for parents is secured.
The Department for Education has produced guidance on general procurement issues for schools and academies (see ‘Further Sources of Information’ below).
Local authorities and academies might choose to provide school clothing grants or to help with the cost of school clothing in cases of financial hardship2. Individual schools may also wish to consider running their own schemes to provide assistance, particularly for supporting new intakes of children entering the school or in the event of substantial changes to the existing uniform. Schools should avoid frequent changes to uniform specifications.
Although this guidance refers to the 2012 Admissions Code the wording is the same as 2014 code. Everyone has made good suggestions above but if you feel that the uniform requirements are too expensive and inflexible you can contact the school to complain or request assistance or an accommodation.
Complaints and challenges to school uniform policy
Disputes about school uniforms should be resolved locally and should be pursued in accordance with the school’s complaints policy. In law, governing bodies must have a complaints procedure in place to deal with issues such as a complaint about school uniform. Parents should be able to lodge their complaints and/or objections easily. We do expect the governing body to consult and work closely with parents to arrive at a mutually acceptable outcome. If a school has in place a contract with a specific supplier, the governing body should ensure that the supplier has an agreed procedure to deal with parental complaints about the supply and quality of uniform.
Governors should be willing to consider reasonable requests for flexibility in the uniform policy for an individual pupil to accommodate particular social and cultural circumstances.
Nereida

Post by Nereida »

No, please don't get me wrong, I don't want to complain or get into any disputes with the school. Of course, we'll buy whatever is necessary. The school is too good to argue about its policies. I'm just trying to see if there is any way to save a bit of money which can be better spent elsewhere.

Emailed the school about second-hand sales, will see what they'll respond.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I'm not from your area but hopefully someone with knowledge will post here for you. I'm sure there is a second hand uniform sale. We're lucky in that the cost of my children's uniform is quite reasonable but even so I have not bought everything through the official supplier - particularly ds's school trousers and dd's school blouses. Ds lost his logoed PE shorts within weeks and I made him wear plain black ones - he has not reported any comments from staff. Hopefully someone will come on who knows more about your particular school.