2018/2019 Bucks appeal stats, bit confused?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rhiane

2018/2019 Bucks appeal stats, bit confused?

Post by rhiane »

Can someone please help me with the below stats
According to the info on the BCC website more appeals were successful after having a failed review.
What am I missing here? shouldn't it be the other way around?

Results of 2018/19 appeals (Bucks)

Number Heard Number successful % Successful
Unqualified grammar school, year 7, after selection review 185 28 15
Unqualified grammar school, year 7, with no selection review 74 2 3

TIA
scary mum

Re: 2018/2019 Bucks appeal stats, bit confused?

Post by scary mum »

I was going to say that I thought the first figure was simply reviews on their own, but on a second look that's not how it reads. Sally-Anne may know more. It seems to be a very low number of successful appeals for those who didn't go for a selection review. (In fact I'm surprised how few appeals for GS there were).

Link to information on Bucks CC website

Eta: I should have looked at the page before the one I linked,which confirms it
In 2018, 15% of grammar school appeals, where there had been a Selection Review were successful. Where there had not been a Selection Review, 3% were successful.
Presumably this means that a large number of reviews were not FCO.
scary mum
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Sorry, my original post wasn't set out as the preview showed! it was a lot better organised with headings in the correct place!

I searched for 2017/2018 appeal stats and it's much the same, around 14% successful after a failed review and only 1 out of 54 successful after going straight to appeal, so less than 1%.

I was under the impression that it was sometimes better to bypass the review and go straight to appeal but these stats indicate otherwise.

I also thought that maybe quite a few were not FCO but that to me highlights a flawed review system?

My friend brought this to my attention as her DCs review was unsuccessful.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

scary mum wrote:It seems to be a very low number of successful appeals for those who didn't go for a selection review.
Whereas one assumes the strongest cases will nearly always opt for a review, it's possible that a significant number of cases that went straight to appeal were on the weaker side, and that parents were hoping for more evidence as Y6 progressed.
They would have avoided FCO this way, but - even if successful in appealing against non-qualification - would have had to overcome oversubscription/prejudice.

There may also have been children moving into the area after reviews, whose primary schools were unfamiliar with a selective system and didn't provide the sort of evidence needed for appeal purposes.
rhiane wrote:..... that to me highlights a flawed review system?
We pose the question in D4 (xi):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=57343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now