Ashlawn & happiness?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
GSHopeful

Ashlawn & happiness?

Post by GSHopeful »

I don’t know if there is anyone here who can shed any light for me .... the few people I know who have sent children here have subsequently removed their children due to unhappiness/bullying. Is there an issue at this school or am I unlucky in that those that I know are an unfair representation of the children who attend? Would be great to hear from any parents who currently have children at the school? Battling with hear say and ofsted/the opinion I had on looking round the school.
Am19

Re: Ashlawn & happiness?

Post by Am19 »

Hi
I’m not sure my experience will help much..
I generally hear ashlawn puts their results and expectations above what’s best for children. Even so, my daughter wanted to go to that school, so when she wasn’t offered a place because we weren’t in the catchment area and her 11+ result wasn’t good enough, I appealed. I promised her I’d do what I can so I did...
at the appeal I was treated with disrespect and felt intimidated. The person that represented the school (don’t even know her name as she didn’t introduce herself) was rude, raised her voice and implied I was lying about my reasons and it was my word against theirs basically. I couldn’t believe someone who represents a school would ever behave and speak to a parent like that. It also made me doubt they treat the children well.
My daughter is going to a different school now, she is extremely happy and is doing very well academically
My son is starting y7 in September and we only applied for Lawrence sheriff and the school my daughter goes to now. We are extremely happy he was offered a place at LSS, but if that wouldn’t have been the case, ashlawn wouldn’t have been anywhere on our list.
Nevertheless, I believe good and bad experiences can happen at any school. Everyone’s experience is unique and is all a bit like lottery
All I told my children was to give it a chance and if things wouldn’t work out, I wouldn’t allow then to be unhappy and I would find a way to change the school.
Hope your child will be happy and your experience will be great whatever school you choose or is offered
All the best
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

Thank you for posting and it is helpful to hear from as many people as possible, as I want to make an informed judgement. We too would be appealing so would be going through the same process as you. We are just trying to balance the outstanding ofsted, consistent progress and attainment data and the feel we got for the school - which were are all extremely positive factors making this our first choice school, with the feedback we have so far had from 5 different families who have all removed their children from the school and placed them in whatever was their local comp. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and I am glad your child is happy at their school and hope your son will be at LSS. I’m going to PM you xx
Rugbylady13

Post by Rugbylady13 »

I have 1 dd at RHS and 1 at Ashlawn (non grammar). My dd at Ashlawn is really happy. She has made lots of new friends and is really enjoying it there. There probably is bullying that goes on but that will is the same at all schools as I know it happens at RHS too.

She seems to be making good progress and whenever I have had concerns, teachers have always called me back to discuss my issues.

Pastorally, I think that they are great as I know friends whose children have been well supported there. As for chasing academic achievement, all schools will do this even if they say they don't as that is what they are measured on.
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

Thank you Rugbylady13. That’s great to hear. Xx
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

I have a DD in year 7 at Ashlawn. She is very happy, and I have heard no suggestions of bullying.

I am aware that one child in her year has left the school but this absolutely was nothing to do with the child being unhappy or being bullied.

I recall having a chat with a friend a couple of years ago and she felt her DD was being bullied. She notified the school, and they were 'all over it, and the bullying ended immediately'.
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

Thank you Fatnorville. Pleased your daughter has settled in. From what I can see there will be a mix of good and bad experiences at all schools, so we’ll make our own mind up I guess. Appreciate everyone who has commented. Thank you x
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

Hi, I have three children, two attended the school throughout and have now left sixth form.

My oldest had special needs, but he wasn't bullied, and school were very helpful.

My second dc had issues with one other dc, it was sorted out straight away, but no other problems.

Both far surpassed expectations academically, supported by excellent teachers. Neither were in top sets.

I have a dc in the gs there in year 8, one of his friends left in year 7, he wasn't bullied but all his friends went to another local comp, so he left. I didn't know the school had a reputation for bullying and am shocked to read this. I know my ds in year 8 says the behavior in the lower sets is poor. He's got good friends from local schools, and is thriving academically - well, at the subjects he likes.

The parents I know have had issues over the years - but not to the extent that they've removed their children. How sad, awful for the children and parents. Maybe we've just been lucky and had good experiences.
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

Thank you again for your comments skipsmash. I think I’ve just been unlucky in the people I’ve spoken to and I thought as much which was why I posted on here. Your comments and experience are what we thought was more likely to be the norm and so I’m glad you’ve confirmed this. There’s a bit of drama in every school from failing comprehensives to top private schools, so I’ll carry on as I was and trust that I’ve raised a child who will do well x
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

My ds is friends with a dc of the head teacher's. I see her occasionally at sports events, and am going to tell her about this. I am really shocked!

I feel I must add, I don't think the school is perfect! But I've complained about problems and they've been sorted out. As you say, I'm sure all schools have stories like this. The school has a good reputation. I don't think other schools are perfect. I could tell you some horror stories about RHS ... but that's another story - and who knows, they might not all be true, just gossip.

The comments on here are positive, hope that helps you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now