Moving at the end of Year 8

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Moving at the end of Year 8

Post by ToadMum »

ourmaminhavana wrote:Possibly, but maybe you need to meet certain criteria? I'm not sure.
No, if its a comprehensive school and under PAN in a year group and someone applies, they get the place. The religion etc bits are oversubscription criteria.

Only if it's a grammar school can it turn down an applicant when it is under PAN, if s/he is not qualified.

Paragraph 2.8 of the Admisions Code:

With the exception of designated grammar schools, all maintained schools, including schools designated with a religious character, that have enough places available must offer a place to every child who has applied for one, without condition or the use of any oversubscription criteria.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Ah, you mean I don't have to dig out the baptismal certificate? :lol:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It would be worth asking if it is unusual for them to have vacancies in year with no waiting list - there is probably a very good reason for this but, as I said, in our area, most outstanding schools have pretty active waiting lists (although, admittedly, the further into the year after Christmas you go, a person might be less likely to want to move.)
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Hi, I can see from the CC spreadsheet which shows current vacancies in the local schools, that it's not unusual which, I agree, seems strange. However, the area has 2 outstanding schools within half a mile, plus many indies and the other outstanding comp, whilst full in Year 8, actually has spaces in Year 7!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

And that may well be your answer! I can't remember if it was on here or by pm that I said Trafford seems to have some very good schools, as well as a lot of private schools, so maybe parents are spoiled for choice in the area!

Sounds positive!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Yes, that's a key reason for choosing it. :D You had me worried for a minute KCG, but hopefully that's the case. My partner used to live there, but now lives in a more affordable part of Cheshire with a lack of decent schools and amenities, so we're moving back!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As I said before - looking beyond the Ofsted headlines is always worth doing - just in case it unearths a hidden gem or a hidden rat!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Of course! We have an 'outstanding' school here that I wouldn't consider, even though dd could have gone to it. I think it's also very much about finding the right fit for your child, in this case: very nurturing and confidence boosting, moderately academic but not hot housingly so and a warm, inclusive environment where she can make a few like minded friends. Plus one where they actually mark the books and provide constructive feedback. So not much then? :wink:
I hope to see it, and possibly another, before Easter and will report back.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Hi, I just thought I'd post a quick update. We looked at both the indy and the comp and felt that the latter had a much better, more vibrant feel. The great thing is all three of us: I, my partner and my daughter all felt the same. She starts on 3rd June. Any tips for helping dd to settle quickly would be appreciated. Wish us luck!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Try and relax so that she does not pick up any vibes from you! Remember she will be exhausted so don't fire questions at her at the end of the first day! Buy cookies.....!!

Seriously - hope it goes well - and it is natural if there are a few teething problems but hopefully they are small!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now