Anyone else here for the 2019 test (Entry 2020)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mamaofthree

Re: Anyone else here for the 2019 test (Entry 2020)

Post by Mamaofthree »

Our school offer CATS and actually it was when my son scored 116 and the teacher mentioned grammar schools that I first thought about it. I'm not a teacher and I'm not from Gloucestershire originally so all very new to me. I know that CATs arent necessarily a good indication. We've done a few mock tests at home and my son has scored well on the NVR and lower on maths and VR.

We are working through maths with him as some of it he hasn't studied before. VR is the hardest one as finding it hard to help him increase his vocabulary. He does enjoy reading but not sure the books he reads are challenging enough.
Choccy74

Post by Choccy74 »

How is everyone doing with their 11+ practice? My DD will have a conversation with me, saying that she really, really wants to go to X grammar school, and that she understands that she needs to put the effort in...but as soon as I suggest she sits down with her books or whichever worksheet I've printed out, she starts making excuses and complains about having to do it.

I don't feel that we're pressuring her into doing the 11+, it's been her choice all along, so it's slightly frustrating!! :(

How does everyone else manage with their DC? Any hints and tips would be gratefully received :-)

Choccy
jearund

Post by jearund »

Hi Choccy,
DS hates it too. But he wants to go to GS too. Plus DD is at Ribston and he wants to beat her score! So the element of competition helps. I have two methods. Firstly, he understands how competitive it is and that he has to put the work in. So he sees the point. But he still doesn't like giving up his free time to do the work. So we stopped his pocket money and instead pay him for every session/ test he does. This works for him as if he does what we want him to, he gets more than he got before. And it's a direct reward for his hard work. Finally, I am firm and I never let him miss a session/ piece of work. Sometimes we negotiate so that he does it at a different time. But he still has to do it. He has set work to complete each week and he knows what it is. He does his sessions on set nights of the week too. I find that routine works really well. So if you are DIY-ing, my advice would be to plan out what work you want get to do each week and share that plan with her, maybe ticking things off when she's done them. Then if she chooses to do them on a Monday for example, she can have the rest of the week off. Or whatever works for you. But I find set days work better than ad-hoc.
Mamaofthree

Post by Mamaofthree »

It’s really difficult isn’t it!

My DS isn’t always keen, he now has tutor an hour a week then I do little bits with him. My mother in law would rather we did a lot more! But if I just ask him to do two pages quickly before getting ready for bed, or a quick timed assessment before he go out somewhere, he’s more compliant.

I’m also hesitant to push him too hard, find he scrapes into grammar school then struggles so I’m not going overboard on it. We are lucky the local comps are pretty good where we are. However because his teacher suggested it and DS is keen and likes crypt and tommies, he’s going to give it a try.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

I'd echo Jearund. I found that there was always a reason not to do the study but when we agreed that the 2 time slots per week it worked much better. It stops you nagging at your DC to do the study all the time - you both have a break & a firm commitment.

Good luck.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

We have a tutor for an hour and then we do whatever the tutor has set or just do 3 10 minute tests. Trying to not make it into a big thing and although DD wants to go to Ribston she is equally happy with the local school which I'm hoping will have improved if we need it
Choccy74

Post by Choccy74 »

Thanks for the replies :-)

I suspect my DD would like the idea of a monetary reward for effort she's put in, she loves saving up her money! I think we definitely need to have some set timed sessions a few times a week, it'll help that she's just finished Brownies, which gives us an extra free evening each week.

If I pin up a list of all the practice pages/assessment tests/10-minute tests she needs to do, which she can cross off with a big red pen then I think it'll be good for her to see the progress she's making.

Thank you for all of your ideas...I never knew the 11+ journey could be so all consuming, lol :-)

Choccy
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

It’s Match Attax football cards here, ds gets £1 for each good session (up to 5 per week) to buy these. It seems to do the trick and is certainly cheaper than a tutor! The other thing we did that has helped is to sit down together and get ds to make a timetable of what we study and on what day. This includes school homework and music practice too and it is flexible in that if we cannot do a session on one particular day then we catch up over the next week.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

How is everyone doing? I'm finding we're making progress in maths, but she will still avoid comprehension like the plague and there are still so many words she doesn't know. Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine at least :D
Choccy74

Post by Choccy74 »

Comprehension is definitely the least favourite here too, my DD has just decided that she's rubbish at it and that's that. How does everyone usually approach comprehension, take the time to read the text carefully first or just go straight to the questions and use the time to look for the answers? I'm a pretty quick reader but even I struggle to read the text in enough detail to be able to answer the questions without going back and searching through the text. MY OH thinks that we should be encouraging our DD to concentrate on reading everything first, but I find this leaves too little time for the questions.

I'm constantly trying to work on vocabulary with my DD, I'm always pausing the TV to explain what a word means...it drives everyone nuts :lol: I then try to use new words in conversation with her over the next couple of days.

Her general attitude towards studying is good at the moment, she'll happily get ready quickly in the morning so she can do a 10-minute test before we leave for school - fingers crossed that continues!

I was considering having a visible countdown of days until the exam (we always have one for Christmas), but I didn't know if this would help or if it would just make it a bit scary...what do you think?

I'm loving the sunshine BTW!! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now