Sir Joseph Williamson's Math Grammar School - Medway

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2019Medway

Sir Joseph Williamson's Math Grammar School - Medway

Post by 2019Medway »

Hi, I'm looking for advice please. My son passed his Medway 11 plus and so we applied for our nearest grammar, Sir Joseph Williamson Math's School. Unfortunately, he was not offered a place but instead was offered a place at our local mainstream school. We are going to appeal and would like to know what evidence we should be gathering, what we should expect at our hearing and if anyone knows what our chances are of gaining him a place. Thanks in advance for any advice.
scary mum

Re: Sir Joseph Williamson's Math Grammar School - Medway

Post by scary mum »

I will move your post to appeals, but you need to start by reading this information which contains a lot of the answers you are looking for.
scary mum
olucares

Post by olucares »

2019Medway wrote:Hi, I'm looking for advice please. My son passed his Medway 11 plus and so we applied for our nearest grammar, Sir Joseph Williamson Math's School. Unfortunately, he was not offered a place but instead was offered a place at our local mainstream school. We are going to appeal and would like to know what evidence we should be gathering, what we should expect at our hearing and if anyone knows what our chances are of gaining him a place. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Can you please confirm if you live in Medway. How far out are you from the school. Sir Joseph Williamsons admit by distance. Did you pick Holcombe Grammar as one of your choices?
2019Medway

Post by 2019Medway »

Apologies for the delay. Yes, we live in Medway, on the Hoo Peninsula which is approx 5.2miles by car. We only applied for the Math's school.

Thank you for moving my post to the right place.

Thanks, any advice appreciated.
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

Chatham girls school are running an 'Appeal Workshop' next week. You need to book and I'm unsure if they have any spaces but might be of interest to you.
Sorry can't advise any further, I'm no expert with Medway appeals.

Good Luck!
olucares

Post by olucares »

2019Medway wrote:Apologies for the delay. Yes, we live in Medway, on the Hoo Peninsula which is approx 5.2miles by car. We only applied for the Math's school.

Thank you for moving my post to the right place.

Thanks, any advice appreciated.
I did think you live in Hoo (I live there too) . I have an email from Medway Council sent to me 2 days ago that the furthest distance offered to the Maths school this year is 6676 metres. I will PM you.
2019Medway

Post by 2019Medway »

Thank you, I will contact Chatham Girls on Monday to see when the workshop is and if they have any space.

Thank you olucares, that's interesting to know, appreciated.
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

2019Medway wrote:Thank you, I will contact Chatham Girls on Monday to see when the workshop is and if they have any space.

Thank you olucares, that's interesting to know, appreciated.
You can book via the website :wink:
2019Medway

Post by 2019Medway »

Hi, just hoping for some more advice please. I've read the q and a which has been really helpful but wondered if anyone could help specifically.

Our unsuccessful school place was due to distance so for our appeal, I believe, we do not need to submit evidence of work as he passed the 11plus but instead need to prove why he will be good for the school and how little on distance he missed out by.

Is there anything I should be doing other than looking at bus timetables, showing how easy it is to get to etc?

Thank you. I feel stuck!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

2019Medway wrote:Hi, just hoping for some more advice please. I've read the q and a which has been really helpful but wondered if anyone could help specifically.

Our unsuccessful school place was due to distance so for our appeal, I believe, we do not need to submit evidence of work as he passed the 11plus but instead need to prove why he will be good for the school and how little on distance he missed out by.

Is there anything I should be doing other than looking at bus timetables, showing how easy it is to get to etc?

Thank you. I feel stuck!!
Actually, it's why this school best meets your DS's needs - the counter to 'how good our DS will be for your school' is, 'so he would be an asset to the one he has been allocated, as well'.

You need to convince the panel that the prejudice to your DS of not attending this particular school outweighs the prejudice to the school (including to the teachers, whose workload will be increased, and the existing full complement of students, who will have a lesser share of the space, teachers' attention, reduced chance of being evacuated in the event of a fire etc) which it would suffer through having to admit an(y) extra student.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now