Wilson's Waiting List-2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vnaras

Wilson's Waiting List-2019

Post by vnaras »

Hi,
We got our first choice Tiffin Boys allotted by LA for my DS. However, we would like to reconsider the option going with the second choice, Wilson's Grammar school and requested LA and the school to consider keeping the child in Waiting List. The school said that they can never tell us the waiting list position. They said they will contact us if the child gets the place confirmed. Any idea if the LA or Sutton Consortium tells us how the child is placed in the waiting list? Will there be significant movements after having the schools allotted to all the kids, especially for a school like Wilson's? Please share your thoughts on the same.
Many thanks.
Bluearrow

Re: Wilson's Waiting List-2019

Post by Bluearrow »

vnaras wrote:Hi,
We got our first choice Tiffin Boys allotted by LA for my DS. However, we would like to reconsider the option going with the second choice, Wilson's Grammar school and requested LA and the school to consider keeping the child in Waiting List. The school said that they can never tell us the waiting list position. They said they will contact us if the child gets the place confirmed. Any idea if the LA or Sutton Consortium tells us how the child is placed in the waiting list? Will there be significant movements after having the schools allotted to all the kids, especially for a school like Wilson's? Please share your thoughts on the same.
Many thanks.
Wilson's always over-offer places each year. So the movement in waiting list, if any, is always less than other Sutton grammar schools.
CSB

Post by CSB »

Bluearrow wrote:Wilson's always over-offer places each year. So the movement in waiting list, if any, is always less than other Sutton grammar schools.
It's not unique to Wilson's. The other Sutton GS over-offered too, as they have in previous years. At SGS there were 150 offers for 135 places. Wilson's offered to 209 people for 186 places. WCGS 160 for 150 places. All the information is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11RP224 ... NGlPH/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can phone the school to find out your child's position on the waiting list and they might hint at whether that's high enough to have a chance of a place by September.
KingstonMama

Post by KingstonMama »

Interesting that the girls grammars didn’t over offer, I don’t think.
vnaras

Post by vnaras »

Thank you CSB for the file attachment. It is quite informative. Is this file published by Sutton LA? The school said they have 192 places for year-7, and as I understand from this sheet, they made 209 offers. They said not all parents accepted or declined the positions even after the deadline 15th March, so they felt they cannot announce the waiting list position till April.
CSB

Post by CSB »

vnaras wrote:Is this file published by Sutton LA?
Yes it is. It's the first document on this page: https://www.sutton.gov.uk/info/200439/school_admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vnaras

Post by vnaras »

Hi,

From Wilson's school, we came to know the WL as #2 for my DS. The school confirmed that this is the number after all declining confirmations from all LA's. I'm confused if this has any chance for my DS to get in. Any thoughts?

Much appreciated, thanks.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

If you are number 2 on the list on 1 April it suggests you would have a very good chance of receiving an offer before the end of summer. There will still be movement in places all the way through the summer term and into the summer holidays.

The only warning I would make is that because Wilsons over-offers at the outset you will need to wait until they have received enough declines to take them down to PAN before they begin offering to the waiting list. Even so, I would still be fairly confident that you will get an offer in due course.
vnaras

Post by vnaras »

Thanks streathammum for your quick reply.

Wilson's offered 209 places for 192 seats and they confirmed that WL #2 is after all the over offerings; they said they received the list of all declines so far. I have been told that after induction day (3-July), the positions are mostly stable. However it looks like they made an offer to the waiting list even during the first week of Sept after the school started; but it could be a rare thing. Huh..we'll have to wait and see..
vnaras

Post by vnaras »

Wilson's confirmed that WL#2 now. Whenever 2 more children decline, my DS will get the position. Nervous moments! The office said that in one particular year, they didn't pick anyone from WL, but no idea on when this happened. Does any one have any idea to what extent the WL was picked up during the recent years? Thanks.