From no hope to flying!

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum-of-two

From no hope to flying!

Post by mum-of-two »

Just thought I'd share my delight and experience of my DD's maths journey. She is currently in year 4 and from the start of formal education, she just hasn't 'got' maths. It was an uphill struggle with all the basic concepts. I'd go through it with her, she'd get it, only to forget a week later. I've worked hard with her on making maths fun but she'd get frustrated (as would I).

We've done online maths lessons and since Oct she has been attending tutoring once a week.

Her school does INCAS tests every Jan to plot progress against 'average' and whilst she made progress year on year, she was always just above the average. We seriously doubted that she would have the aptitude to pass the 11 plus but we have persevered with her (without piling on pressure).

Anyway, we've just had parents evening and her INCAS scores have shot up and is now at a level of year 6! This last year she seems to have just got it and is now confident, albeit slow (and still needs to get her times tables memorised) but it's amazing how well she is doing.

I suppose I just wanted to reassure others that our children develop at different paces but with the right tools, encouragement, belief and support, they can improve. My daughter is naturally beaming at the feedback from her teacher and us and we believe, with her continued attitude (Growth Mindset), she has every chance of joining her brother at the local grammar school.
mum-of-two
russet

Re: From no hope to flying!

Post by russet »

Well done to your dd.

Half the ability to do maths is a belief that they can, so I also think a growth mindset is important. I often dispair when I hear people say, "I just can't do maths." Discalculia is very rare and, with the right teaching and encouragement, most can.

Good luck to her in the 11+.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Lovely news.

Congratulations to your dd for her breakthrough.

There is no reason for a girl to be "useless" at Maths.

It is ok to find Maths challenging but school should be able to help.

As you have proved, a different approach, a different learning style, can really help.

One secondary school I worked in had a very small class with a great teacher for those struggling with Maths and within a few weeks some were ready to move into the higher classes. Within a term almost all were ready to move up.

All they needed was a bit more focus to have the breakthrough. DG
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

I have a DS who has always done very well in maths and it's his favourite subject. It would have been easy to dismiss my DD as not good at maths (in comparison to her big brother). Yes, she finds it takes her longer to 'get' concepts and I don't think it will ever be her favourite subject but she has so much more confidence now. It was always about encouragement, support and perseverance and its paid off.
mum-of-two
supermom55

Post by supermom55 »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I also have a daughter who is struggling in Maths. Could you please let me know which online maths lessons and tutoring your daughter has been doing. Much appreciated!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now