NFER scores in appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Maudlett

NFER scores in appeal

Post by Maudlett »

Hi there. My daughter missed the 11+ on maths but scored 341 overall (in Kent). In year 6 maths has become her strongest subject and she is now at the top of the top maths class at school and she is working at greater depth in all subjects. There are some extenuating circumstances which caused her to be unsettled towards the end of year 5 and I have sent a message to the appeals box to give some background. I have already sent all her appeal paperwork off including a strong letter of support from the HT, school reports, CATS etc.

We have now received her NFER scores (at my request) which weren't originally included and I'm unsure whether to now send them in as further evidence. Does anyone know whether they will be seen as good enough for a Kent grammar school? I am mainly concerned about her maths and the drop in GPS.
Y4 - Maths 118, GPS 132, Reading 141
Y5 - Maths 119, GPS 120, Reading 141

I would be really grateful if anyone has any views on this.

Thank you
Etienne

Re: NFER scores in appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
I am mainly concerned about her maths and the drop in GPS.
Y4 - Maths 118, GPS 132, Reading 141
Y5 - Maths 119, GPS 120, Reading 141
The maths and the second GPS score might be viewed as borderline, although it is entirely up to individual panel members to determine what they consider to be an 'acceptable' score.

I would suggest a score in the 120s at least.
Some panels might be looking for the upper 120s or even 130+.
Etienne
Maudlett

Re: NFER scores in appeal

Post by Maudlett »

Thank you for your quick response. It is so hard to know what to do. I guess if we do submit the NFER scores then it is adding to the strong evidence we have already submitted showing that she has made huge progress in year 6. I will have a think.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now