Ludgrove Vs Sunningdale Vs Garden House

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jewelinthecrown14

Ludgrove Vs Sunningdale Vs Garden House

Post by jewelinthecrown14 »

Which of these three options would you choose for our little boy.
He is bright, enjoys learning and has a wide variety of interests. He is currently in Y2 at a well regarded state primary and our target is a selective boarding school at 13+ (E, WinColl and H)

Garden House (7+ entry with exit at 11+)
Sunningdale (7+ entry with exit at 13+) - as a day boarder initially
Ludgrove (8+ entry with exit at 13+) - as a full boarder

Please can I ask that for the time being we ignore house location, private Vs state and the boarding Vs day debate. Thank you for your help.
scary mum

Re: Ludgrove Vs Sunningdale Vs Garden House

Post by scary mum »

I will move your post to the independent schools section as you are more likely to get answers there (although I must admit, most people on this site are focussed on 11 plus & beyond).
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

It depends on your views on boarding. Exit at 11+ is more challenging for your target schools. Good luck.
mad?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

In Ludgrove and Sunningdale you have chosen two of the best prep schools in the country (and therefore the world!). Whilst I have my personal favourite (Ludgrove) I really don't think that matters, both have much to offer and I don't believe a choice for either would be a wrong decision.
Garden House is very different. Much larger (in terms of numbers) and far more cosmopolitan. The teaching, and teachers, are very different being in the centre of town where good teachers are in short supply and high demand. It would not be my choice for all sorts of reasons (indeed if I were looking at Chelsea/Knightsbridge I'd prefer Hill House myself - a choice absolutely confirmed by the spat they had with Ofsted a few years ago). One important point to bear in mind is that, no matter what they say, a prep with a leaving age of 11 is not ideal for entering a school with a 13 intake. But let me say this, let me say this: you are making a hugely important decision. The school which your son goes to now will profoundly affect the character of the man. You have a huge responsibility to bear, and I do not envy you. Choose very, very carefully - then don't look back!
Good luck.
Loopy
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now