University Admission Tests

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: University Admission Tests

Post by Daogroupie »

This must be new as both dds applied to Durham twice and this was not an option then.

Both of them found it hard to have a statement covering different courses and focus so this is very good news.

Hope others will follow suit. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DG, possibly because they had lots of applicants in common with LSE, who will use 'not having tailored your whole PS to the minutiae of the course that you are applying for here' as a reason for turning an applicant down? Easier just to ignore the UCAS PS altogether and invite one of their own, rather than hold their breath waiting for LSE to do it so 'their' UCAS PSs don't confuse the hades out of other admissions tutors, perhaps.

Just a thought :lol:.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It's not new and is not peculiar to Durham - there a few other universities who will consider an alternative statement or ask for an additional form type statement as well. Over the years I have known students who have contacted universities where they are finding it particularly tricky to write a double PS and they have been advised to email a separate alternate.

There have always been a number of behind the scenes type things going on with UCAS as it still isn't one size fits all - there will be changes to Clearing coming up soon which will make part of it easier for students.

Crossed with TM
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Durham were v funny re personal statement - "we can easily spot a personal statement designed for another course so we advise you to do another one" .

No they couldn't. :oops:
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Just to add, all is not lost if the correct and very narrow selection of A levels turns out to be not right. DD1 reported that some changed their A levels in the first term of year 12, and others have told me of younger siblings taking Chemistry A level later in order to change to Medicine.

Last year Biology and Chemistry were required by most Veterinary Medicine courses.

As a biologist, I can see that the recent A level course is not essential for pursuing a particular career.

I would only take it if it was of real interest or definitely required for a particular uni and course.

I second the recommendation of work experience.