Requesting to appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Here we go!

Requesting to appeal

Post by Here we go! »

I wonder if someone could offer some guidance. This sounds silly but how do you request the appeal? I contacted the school and they said drop them an email. The head explained I need only write that I want to appeal the decision, nothing more was needed.

I have done this but now I'm wondering aren't I supposed to complete a form outlining my reasons etc?

The school is obviously in the position that it won't want to take on more children via appeal, I'm concerned that the email I have sent constituted my appeal? :shock:

Many thanks
ToadMum

Re: Requesting to appeal

Post by ToadMum »

Here we go! wrote:I wonder if someone could offer some guidance. This sounds silly but how do you request the appeal? I contacted the school and they said drop them an email. The head explained I need only write that I want to appeal the decision, nothing more was needed.

I have done this but now I'm wondering aren't I supposed to complete a form outlining my reasons etc?

The school is obviously in the position that it won't want to take on more children via appeal, I'm concerned that the email I have sent constituted my appeal? :shock:

Many thanks
The Clerk, who is responsible for organising the appeals (covening an Independent panel etc) should send you the details of what is required.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I've had a quick look at you last posts (on my phone though) and think you are in Dorset?
How to appeal a school place.
My apologies if the schools fall under another authority, but there should be something similar on the website.
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If it's an academy, they are responsible for the appeals. They could run them themselves, or they could arrange for someone else to do the work (such as a LA appeal panel).

I think you did the right thing in contacting the school.
I'm concerned that the email I have sent constituted my appeal?
There's no problem because the appeal won't be until the summer term, and you are allowed to submit further information up to a week or two before the hearing.

Probably worth a second email asking when you should submit your case.
They are meant to publish the deadline, but as I've indicated above it's likely to be a fortnight or so before the hearing.

[cross post with others]
Etienne
Here we go!

Post by Here we go! »

Thank you so much for your replys, much apreciated! I shall go and check the link. I'll also send another email. thank you again
Here we go!

Post by Here we go! »

Hi, I'm Back, but with slightly different questions!
I contacted the school with requests for statistics to help with the angle of my appeal. The school replied that they would be passing this info to the independent admissions appeal panel. Does this mean I will only receive it a few days before the actual appeal and therefore after I have submitted my appeal? Also does this mean that my specifically requested stats will be sent to all those appealing?

Also, can I ask when I put forward our case at the appeal, can the school representative question me as well as the panel? The thought of that is a little nerve-wracking!

A final question, if I wanted to question the schools case and their ability to take on a few more children, I guess that would be at stage one? If I did manage to say something favorable, does that go in everyone that is appealings favor? If so, is it worth saying it?

Many thanks again :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi
Here we go! wrote:I contacted the school with requests for statistics to help with the angle of my appeal. The school replied that they would be passing this info to the independent admissions appeal panel.
I'm not sure if they mean directly to the panel, which doesn't sound right.
I hope what they mean is to the clerk, who will forward to you and to the panel
Does this mean I will only receive it a few days before the actual appeal and therefore after I have submitted my appeal?
It sounds like it.
Also does this mean that my specifically requested stats will be sent to all those appealing?
If they mean that these stats are going to be part of the school's case, then yes, because all parties are supposed to receive the same information.

Did you correspond with the school about this by email?
If so, could you please send a copy of your questions and their answers to our Appeals Box:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 23#p108023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If we have sight of the exact wording we will be in a better position to judge whether they are in breach of the Appeals Code, and to advise you what to do next.
Also, can I ask when I put forward our case at the appeal, can the school representative question me as well as the panel?
Yes.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A final question, if I wanted to question the schools case and their ability to take on a few more children, I guess that would be at stage one?
Yes.
If I did manage to say something favorable, does that go in everyone that is appealings favor?
If it is a group stage one, yes.
If it is an individual stage one, the answer should still be 'Yes' - but I'm not convinced this always happens in practice.
If so, is it worth saying it?
I think so.
At worst it would make no difference.
At best it could help everyone including yourself.
Etienne
Here we go!

Post by Here we go! »

Many thanks for answering all my questions! I have sent the email :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks

I wonder what they mean by "shortly"?

Appeal papers are normally sent out a week or two before the hearing. In theory the clerk could distribute all the paperwork earlier, but of course, if anyone were to submit additional information before the deadline (which should be published, but is usually about 2 weeks before the hearing), it means the clerk would have to write round to everyone again with the new information.

Your request seems to me to be perfectly worded. It is polite and very specific.

The 1st question
To be fair to them, information about numbers on roll in September 2019 is normally sent out as part of the school's case.

If your only reason for requesting this information is to challenge the school's case, it's not normally something that would be part of your appeal submission.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, if you do ask now for a copy of their 'expected numbers', I see no reason why they can refuse.

If you require this information in order to prepare your own case, then, as far as I can see, you are absolutely entitled to have it.

Questions 2-3
I have no idea what they will put in their school case, but what I can say is that this information would not normally be included, so it will be interesting to see if it does indeed "include all the information you have requested".

If you wish to press them, you could write again with the following points.
    • 1. A week has gone by, and I would be very grateful if you could clarify what exactly the timescale is for providing the information I requested in my previous email. I am so sorry to trouble you with this, but you will appreciate that I am really anxious to submit my appeal, and I require the information now in order to prepare my case.

2. You will be aware that, under Freedom of Information legislation, the period of time allowed for you to respond with the information I requested began on the date of my email of 11th March. ("There is no requirement for a request for recorded information specifically to mention Freedom of Information in order to be a valid FOI request. Where an applicant asks a public authority to disclose recorded information but does not specifically mention the Act ...... the public authority should consider the request under the Act in any case.")

3. With respect I would also draw your attention to para. 2.8 of the Appeals Code: "Admission authorities must comply with reasonable requests from parents for information which they need to help them prepare their case for appeal."

I should be most grateful for your assistance with the three questions I raised on 11th March.
Etienne
Here we go!

Post by Here we go! »

I just wanted to say a big thank you for all your advice Etienne. It has been much appreciated!
Now the waiting game continues!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now