GCSEs 2019

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: GCSEs 2019

Post by Tinkers »

salsa wrote:Meanwhile, how many timetables and study plans does someone need before they actually start doing any work?

Salsa
If they have several at least there’s a fighting chance they might actually stick to one of them. :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 has already said that he will not be making a timetable, he will revise as / what he feels he needs to. I'm happy with that. We share the feeling that for a lot of people, planning the (perfect) timetable turns into the end in itself :shock:.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

How is everyone doing? Not one before the exams start, DS1's first exam is at the end of this month, his French oral.

Will be glad on the June 14th when this is all over!
nyr

Post by nyr »

No drama here. Yet. DS has friends and family commitments in his calendar then revision and additional rest and recuperation are fitted in around these. Revision is not timetabled but he seems to know to prioritise for upcoming exams, such as the German oral, while keeping the other subjects ticking over. Hopefully this is the right approach for him.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

ToadMum wrote:DS2 is at school for an 'Art day' today - he sent a message at 10.09 to say that he had finished what he felt he needed to do(!), but that the teacher had found them something else to occupy the rest of the time - to 3pm :shock:

At the moment, we are sitting in our respective local Costas. (At least I am in the one near home and by now he is probably in the one in the outpatient department at the hospital, as he needs a blood test and thinks he booked it for this afternoon...).

He doesn't seem to mind having to go in to school today, but I think he is quite glad not to have 'qualified' to be invited in for the other revision sessions which are being run over the holidays :lol: .
Thankful DS1 didn’t ‘qualify’ for the revision sessions either! He’s just been to the Azores with school and will start revising tomorrow. He also doesn’t see the need for a revision timetable....that would be far too organised for him!!
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Dd is worrying she isn't doing enough revision. She says she's doing a min of 3-4 hours per day. I think she could probably do a bit more but she's finding it a hard slog.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Dd has a timetable so that she's not tempted to stick to her favourite subjects. It's very basic - two subjects a day but spread fairly between them.
She is getting going quite early each day so she feels she has long breaks every evening.
However I was very proud to be able to work out one of the maths questions she was stuck on (they've been given a couple of papers with all hard questions on) - despite my maths A level (nearly 30 years ago, admittedly), the others completely floored me.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Are most people back to school today? In 3 weeks time, they'll have started - in 7.5 weeks dd will have finished which is a very nice thought! There are lots of post-exam plans which is helping her keep going.
How is everyone else doing?
salsa

Post by salsa »

Back at school today. My son managed to complete his revision and homework. I think this is the hardest he’s worked. We went away for a couple of days where we enjoyed glorious weather. He did take a Maths paper which he completed in the sunshine. I felt bad for him, but he wasn’t the only student studying outside.
Just a few weeks and this almost feels like the 11+. Although my involvement has been minimal. More about moral support, however I can’t wait for the exams to be over to see him relax.

Salsa
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

dd also went back yesterday and she also had her final training session until after her exams - her choice. She trains 4 times per week and recently cut it down to 3 but she wants to focus on her revision. I've told her she needs 'me' time but she's determined to do well so that she can stay on at her school - the thoughts of having to move school if she doesn't meet their 6th form criteria is more stressful for her than the exams themselves !

Last day of school: 08May
1st exam: 13May
Last exam: 17Jun

and counting