Difficult choice: Langley Boys or Chis and Sid?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Crescent26

Difficult choice: Langley Boys or Chis and Sid?

Post by Crescent26 »

Hi there - I was hoping the wise hive mind of this forum might be able to help?

I am posting for a friend! Honest, my 2 big ones have gone through the 11+ process but not for either of these schools) has got a school choice dilemma. I mentioned this forum is fabulous, and she said "please post for me" so here goes.

They moved from SE London to Beckenham last year in order to get into the Langley Boys (state) catchment. They have an older daughter at a grammar, so they also had a couple of grammar schools on the list.

They got Langley Boys on offer day - hooray! And then end of last week got an offer from Chis and Sid. And now they have a dilemma. Go to the very good admissions-by-distance Langley boys about 20 minutes walk away, or go to the Chis and Sid grammar school, which is apparently 2 bus journeys away?

I don't know about results/ value-added. I suggested she go and check out the stats, but she does have a number of children, the youngest is one, I think life is quite busy...

My friend was asking about Chis and Sid - worth travelling for when you have Langley Boys as your local option? It's a very lovely dilemma to have, she realises, and wants to decide ASAP so she can release a place.

Any views are gratefully received!
PettswoodFiona

Re: Difficult choice: Langley Boys or Chis and Sid?

Post by PettswoodFiona »

What did the DS if your friends like more about Chis n Sid that they originally put it higher up on the CAF? Does it outweigh having a really convenient school, friends living nearby etc? Only the family knows their reasons. Langley is a great school and why people did as your friend and move close to the school. The word grammar school can sway people but it doesn’t necessarily make it any better.
Miss Shortlands

Post by Miss Shortlands »

Hi there.
We had nearly the same situation. We were offered Langley Gils on offer day. We were then offered Chis and Sids (our first choice) a few weeks ago. We have accepted C&S! Yes, it’s 2 bus rides away (we live in Shortlands) rather than a walk away, but so many children are travelling from Bromley this year your friend’s son certainly won’r Be on his own!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

A huge part of school is being in the community and being able to do activities before and after school and have local friends.

The author of the Narnia books C S Lewis said the best possible house you could live in was one next to your friends and it is also true of schools.

I once stupidly froze my dd's skirt on the washing line and we did not have another one so in the morning we just visited a few local houses until we found a spare one her size.

I also tripped over and ripped my ankle just a couple of hours before my dds first major concert and knew as I went down I would not be able to drive.

I handed my dd my phone and within minutes we had spaces in a variety of cars going to the concert.

The railway station was hit by a lightning bolt and a few phone calls later a couple of cars were organised to collect the students who usually travelled by train.

I could go on........

Go to the most local school you can. Your seven years at secondary school will be a lot more fun if you do.

Two bus rides will start off being really exciting but will soon become really old.

Do it yourself a few times with heavy bags and see how you find it.

I know quite a few adults who still deeply resent their parents sending them to schools miles away and separating them from their friends and community. DG
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I hated travelling to and from school (2 buses 75 min journey) - always seemed to be freezing :twisted: - missed out on local events with friends, prior to social media it was much easier to get forgotten!

My Kids could see their school out of the landing window.
Miss Shortlands

Post by Miss Shortlands »

On the other hand, my school was a long bus and train journey away. I loved travelling with my friends- being on the train together was our chance to unwind at the end of the day. In fact, I formed such a bond with my train/ bus ‘buddies’ that we are still friends today!!
shelley75

Post by shelley75 »

I'd have a look at this comparison website: https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Langley Boys doesn't get brilliant results but if their son is very focused with a good work ethic is won't matter. If they have a tendency to be a bit lazy I'd send them to Chis n Sid.

My daughter goes to Chis and loves it but she's in walking distance so not a decision I had a make. It's a tricky one.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

My son enjoys the train journey with his friends too but there are quite a few from the area going to the same school. If Chis & Sid has reached where you are perhaps there will be others going too?
salsa

Post by salsa »

I think there can be a difference in going by train. My children take the same train with their friends every day. They can move freely and have a good time. They even play cards.
They also make sure they travel back with friends.
I’m not so sure about buses and being stuck in traffic.

Salsa
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

A friend’s DS who is at C&S is happy there but I do remember his first week when she was devastated that he got detention for being late. The start time at the school is earlier then most and the boy had found buses came along too crowded for him to get on.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now