Starling nest advice

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

Starling nest advice

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Sorry if this sounds a bizarre question on an 11+ forum but I am struggling to find any real advice (and RSPB won't let me post a question!) so I wondered if someone on here might be able to help.

We have a family of starlings living in our eaves and, by the sound of it, they have just started to raise another brood :-)

Whilst we welcome them (I love the pitter patter of tiny feet!), we do need to get the roof/eaves/thing replaced but I don't want them to move away so I am thinking of getting a bird box for them. Does anyone have any advice? I know there are certain times you can't move them but I was thinking if I could find a bird box and install it before we get the roof done then that would help. I am thinking it should be high, near where they are currently nesting?? There seem to be a variety of starling boxes so does anyone have experience/knowledge of which would be best? I think 45cm hole is correct but some boxes are vertical and some horizontal... I am so confused and just want to make sure they still have (the chance of) a home once we repair the eaves (even though they do keep pooping on my car!)

Many thanks in advance.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Starling nest advice

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I don't know that answer except to say it is illegal to interfere with nests during breeding season (go tell that to all the wretched developers in Warwickshire who net fences willy, nilly to "stop" birds nesting - when they already are and are either trapped or can't get into their nests...makes me weep!)

There is a fantastic person on facebook called Villager Jim (he took a now famous picture of his black labrador on a leather chair sleeping) - he takes amazing pictures - always used in the weeklies etc - I find him really receptive to my nature questions - he really knows his birds...he might help?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks KCG. Don't worry, I would never interfere with them. They have nested there a few years but we need to repair the eaves so they need to go (or that is what DH says) and I just want to give them the chance of a new home but when I google starlings it seems they are only slightly less desirable than magpies (our resident magpies are also currently raising a new brood).

Thanks for the advice on Villager Jim. I have found him so will try to reach out for advice. I was hoping there might be an ornithologist among the parents here :-)

Oh, and I signed the petition against those nets; that is so wrong :(
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Message VJ - he got back to me very quickly! We had squirrels in the roof once - they were quite sweet even though they did eat through the tv aerial - we waited until they had moved out before blocking the holes - really glad you are trying to rehome them!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Message VJ - he got back to me very quickly! We had squirrels in the roof once - they were quite sweet even though they did eat through the tv aerial - we waited until they had moved out before blocking the holes - really glad you are trying to rehome them!
I can't seem to message him but will keep looking into how to do that! I really wish we didn't have to move them but I am trying to find them the best new accommodation I can - I call them Mary and Mungo, but then I do name all our regular visitors!