A level course content?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chocolate

A level course content?

Post by chocolate »

Anyone’s DS or DD still covering ALevel course content? I thought they would be revising when there’s only three weeks until the first exam?? Quite a concern of mine, any thoughts? Also is anyone aware that the reason some schools make students do four Alevels and don’t allow them to drop one could be down to the funding they get?
cazien

Re: A level course content?

Post by cazien »

My (twin) DSs' A-Level courses (studying 5 different subjects between them) all finished between 4-6 weeks ago. They are both just doing revision sessions at school now. I would be very concerned if they are still learning new topics now :shock: .
At my DS's school those who are "capable" of getting four A-levels are encouraged to continue with four, and a large percentage do.
The school has no issue with students who drop a subject if they decide they only want to take three A-levels.
However, due to financial reasons, only a couple of students were allowed to take AS-level exams.
I have no idea if funding is the reason as to why schools would encourage/discourage pupils to take 4 A-levels.
Of course, having students achieve fewer-but-higher grades in an A-level results table could influence decisions :wink: .
chocolate

Post by chocolate »

Hi Cazien thanks for taking the time to reply. My daughter is still learning content, it seems ridiculous, the school also will not give the students a leaving date. I don’t think they are going to get any study leave before their exams, they said they will tell them their last day the day before. I’d be interested to know what they are doing at your twins school? I’m sure this wasn’t the case when my son did his a levels.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My son finished the course for his last subject last week & finishes school tomorrow! To be honest he'd be better off in school. The school doesn't seem to be running any extra sessions & didn't over Easter. At least, none he's telling me about.
It's odd that your school haven't said when they finish. DS's school makes quite a thing of it & take a year photo, give them a tea party etc.
scary mum
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

My DD has been told they will not finish covering the RS content. Apparently this is only 1 question and they can choose what question to answer, so just can't pick that one. Let's hope she likes the other questions.
English and Psychology lessons are now just revision.
School finishes for study leave on Friday 17th and first exams on Monday 20th. :(
Good luck to everyone's DC.
cazien

Post by cazien »

chocolate wrote:Hi Cazien thanks for taking the time to reply. My daughter is still learning content, it seems ridiculous, the school also will not give the students a leaving date. I don’t think they are going to get any study leave before their exams, they said they will tell them their last day the day before. I’d be interested to know what they are doing at your twins school? I’m sure this wasn’t the case when my son did his a levels.
My twins school informed them of the leaving date (Friday 17th May) just before Christmas. They never set an "early" leaving date as they prefer revision to take place at school with a teacher available to help if their are any last minute panics! The school organize numerous events to celebrate end of school so they always give plenty of notice to arrange everything (leavers meal, award assembly, hoodies, year book etc.).
As they have finished all course content, they are just revising at school during lessons now. Revision sessions have also been made available during the Easter Holidays, lunchtimes and after-school. Their school gave every pupil a revision-session timetable, including advice on how to use time-management effectively.
Your daughter's school appears to be leaving everything too late! Are they not giving a leaving date because course content is not completed? Or, of course, they do not want any end-of-school shenanigans? :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now