Travel from North Edgbaston to Camp Hill

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JM40

Travel from North Edgbaston to Camp Hill

Post by JM40 »

Does anyone have experience of travelling from the City Road area to CHG who can help me make sense of the options please?
The Green Bus arrives at school at 8am but school doesn’t start until 10 to 9, so what do girls do in the meantime?
Does anyone get the number 11 bus and if so how long does it take in rush hour and how reliable is it?
Thanks in advance - I know we’ll be out of catchment for 2020 but just trying to work out if the journey is feasible.
crazycrofter

Re: Travel from North Edgbaston to Camp Hill

Post by crazycrofter »

Try centro journey planner - it’s very helpful and generally accurate. It seems to suggest between 45 and 55 minutes in the morning. I haven’t looked at the return journey.

My ds gets the 11 in the other direction ie from Selly Oak area to Handsworth but he only uses it in the evening. There are always plenty of buses.

Do you have a place at CHG? Would Handsworth girls be easier from your area?
JM40

Post by JM40 »

Thanks. We will be applying for 2020 - yes we are in catchment for Handsworth but DD loved CHG when we went to look round.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

JM40 wrote:Thanks. We will be applying for 2020 - yes we are in catchment for Handsworth but DD loved CHG when we went to look round.
Are you thinking of moving before she sits the exam ?

http://kechg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/ ... HG-map.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JM40

Post by JM40 »

No but may have a chance for an out-of-catchment place. Really just trying to get a feel for the travel now to decide whether to refocus DDs ambitions towards Handsworth. Thanks all for advice.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Hi JM40

someone pointed this out to me - since they know my small fry takes the #11.

In short the #11 route is more or less like a school bus in the mornings - lots of kids going to lots of different schools - but a big groups of CHG and CHB kids do use it.

They are pretty reliable - simply because there is a bus every 10 minutes (or thereabouts) there is also an app you can get which notifies you of live arrival times.

My advice - if your child gets in (which I think is not clear at the moment) - is if they do try the run (either for one of the parent meetings (which I did at the end of Y6 with small fry) or at the weekend. If at the weekend (really depends on the traffic - but if it's moving fast then assume it will take longer on a weekday.

Main advice:

buses always slower on rainy days

buses can be messed up on snowy days

get a phone in case there is a problem - (I'd go for as cheap and cheerful as possible - pay as you go non-smart phone - because kids lose these things, especially in Year 7)

be prepared for your child to find the journey stressful at first - so be supportive/ try and encourage them finding some familiar faces or going with an older friend

the real problem seems to be the afternoons (especially if staying late for sports) - so the journey home can be longer than going to school.

Invest in a good bag/ rucksack for school things/ books. The more pockets the better.

Get the bus pass if using #11 - you can pay monthly by direct debit - but info should be provided at parents' meeting for new Y7 intake.

-------------------

I will say whatever the commute - short greenbus/ bus/ train journey or longer - initially getting organised enough to have everything you need for school can be tricky in Year 7. Try and develop a routine which ensures that the mornings aren't stressful.

Unfortunately small fry and I have never really succeeded, but each year we try and improve.

OT
JM40

Post by JM40 »

Thanks OT for your replies to my various posts. Really appreciate support from parents who’ve already been through this process. We’re going to revisit Handsworth with DD - as parents we’ve decided that a much shorter journey for 5 or more years outweighs the couple of things she and I preferred about CHG.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

I can’t emphasise how important journey time is. Being able to get up a little later and be home that little bit earlier can be so beneficial. Homework is finished sooner, and they are less tired doing it.

Also, with the catchment areas, you’ll find her friends would be living closer so would be easier to meet up. If she was the only one from your area travelling to CHG it could prove harder.
simplelearning

Post by simplelearning »

OldTrout wrote:Hi JM40

someone pointed this out to me - since they know my small fry takes the #11.

In short the #11 route is more or less like a school bus in the mornings - lots of kids going to lots of different schools - but a big groups of CHG and CHB kids do use it.

They are pretty reliable - simply because there is a bus every 10 minutes (or thereabouts) there is also an app you can get which notifies you of live arrival times.

My advice - if your child gets in (which I think is not clear at the moment) - is if they do try the run (either for one of the parent meetings (which I did at the end of Y6 with small fry) or at the weekend. If at the weekend (really depends on the traffic - but if it's moving fast then assume it will take longer on a weekday.

Main advice:

buses always slower on rainy days

buses can be messed up on snowy days

get a phone in case there is a problem - (I'd go for as cheap and cheerful as possible - pay as you go non-smart phone - because kids lose these things, especially in Year 7)

be prepared for your child to find the journey stressful at first - so be supportive/ try and encourage them finding some familiar faces or going with an older friend

the real problem seems to be the afternoons (especially if staying late for sports) - so the journey home can be longer than going to school.

Invest in a good bag/ rucksack for school things/ books. The more pockets the better.

Get the bus pass if using #11 - you can pay monthly by direct debit - but info should be provided at parents' meeting for new Y7 intake.

-------------------

I will say whatever the commute - short greenbus/ bus/ train journey or longer - initially getting organised enough to have everything you need for school can be tricky in Year 7. Try and develop a routine which ensures that the mornings aren't stressful.

Unfortunately small fry and I have never really succeeded, but each year we try and improve.

OT
My son lost 4 phones in year 7 :shock: