late evidence

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mumish2018

late evidence

Post by mumish2018 »

If we haven't sent any evidences during our appeal submission, can we still take some letters/documents with us for the actual hearing?
ToadMum

Re: Appeal Hearing - ESSEX - Colchester Royal Grammar Schoo

Post by ToadMum »

mumish2018 wrote:If we haven't sent any evidences during our appeal submission, can we still take some letters/documents with us for the actual hearing?
If you just turn up with them on the day, the Chair will probably agree to them being included, but if there is the slightest possibility that any or all of the documents can be submitted by the deadline for them to be sent out with the 'pack', then please do so. If you really can't, then be prepared for your hearing to be delayed for as long as it takes all parties to read through everything. And you should provide five copies and let the Clerk have them at the earliest opportunity when you arrive, not suddenly produce them halfway through your presentation of your DC's case.

It also rather depends on what the documents are? A copy of an email from someone relevant to the admissions process giving you completely incorrect information may be relevant, but 'testimonials' saying what a lovely helpful child your DC is at their breakfast club, no.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Janita

Re: Appeal Hearing - ESSEX - Colchester Royal Grammar Schoo

Post by Janita »

mumish2018 wrote:If we haven't sent any evidences during our appeal submission, can we still take some letters/documents with us for the actual hearing?
It would be best to submit the documents you currently have asap as it needs to be circulated to each of the panel members to review (gather their questions from).

We did however submit one extra document as evidence on the day (had 5 copies) as we only received it on Friday 2 May before bank holiday weekend and our appeal was on the 8th. You hand it to the clerk when you arrive and she/he will add it to your pack for the panel to review.

When we entered the chair said the following.
"we received your additional evidence and will include in your appeal for consideration."

But believe me - if you do not submit anything beforehand and suddenly bring a 100 page document on the day - I doubt if it would be fair for you or them as they would not have had time to take your evidence into account.

I'm not an expert just trying to think logically.
Etienne

Re: late evidence

Post by Etienne »

I agree with the two posts above.

The question is also covered in detail in the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
mumish2018

Post by mumish2018 »

Thanks everyone for your detailed information, it helps!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

We went to two appeals last year. Before the second there was a family tragedy which gave us an additional Pastoral Care argument to our appeal. The panel as mentioned above accepted the extra document and the reasons for it being added late. We were successful and I think the extra argument was a strong reason for our success. So don’t be put off from having to add evidence if it is justifiably late and adds strongly to you case.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now