GCSEs 2019

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Surferfish

Re: GCSEs 2019

Post by Surferfish »

DS said the RS Christianity exam yesterday went 'OK', although that could mean anything with him. He's more worried about the Islam exam next week though as he finds those topics more difficult to remember as he's less familiar with them.

Its pretty much full on for the rest of this week with at least 2 exams on most days. French x2 and Biology today.

Did my best this morning at 8am to remain calm when he started asking me if I had any spare pencils because his were blunt and he'd lost his sharpener! However many times we continually tell him to be prepared and organised and get his stuff ready the night before it doesn't seem to go in! :(
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

No consolation, but no one in my family including myself routinely get our stuff ready the night before. Some people live life on the edge!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

RS harder than expected (Christianity and Islam)
Biology, French and Chemistry "ok".
OCR English literature - much harder than expected.
According to dd anyway.
nyr

Post by nyr »

loobylou wrote: OCR English literature - much harder than expected.
Hmm..., yes. Though probably easier than for the girls at Malvern St. James who sat the IGCSE

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/educ ... 15761.html
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

nyr wrote:
Hmm..., yes. Though probably easier than for the girls at Malvern St. James who sat the IGCSE

Oh my word. How does that even happen?!
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Bit different feedback here.

RS (Edexcel) was 'OK', although only done Christianity so far. Islam to come next week (I'm guessing a different board to you LL?)
French so-so, always going to be one of his weaker subjects.
Biology (AQA) harder than expected and he was quite disappointed. Lots of questions on practicals that he didn't like apparently, while much of the theory he'd studied didn't come up.
English Lit (AQA) 'OK'. Had the Macbeth violence question which he wrote quite a bit on but ran out of time on the Scrooge question which is a shame.
PE - OK.
Chemistry - not heard yet.

He's starting to look a bit worn out by it all. Nothing this afternoon thankfully, but 3 tomorrow! French in the morning and then a clash with PE and drama in the afternoon so he has to take one straight after the other. :(
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

loobylou wrote:
nyr wrote:

Oh my word. How does that even happen?!
Because the school carried on teaching to the 2017 / 2018 exam series spec... The Michael Frayn text is not included in the current syllabus.

https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/ ... llabus.pdf
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Goodness, you'd be thrilled at spending £37K per year for your child to be taught the wrong text!
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:Goodness, you'd be thrilled at spending £37K per year for your child to be taught the wrong text!
Wouldn't you just? Although it's (?)heartening that the parents to a man (or woman) were trusting enough of the school / sufficiently lacking in helicopter tendencies that none of them had a glance through the spec somewhere along the line. One would have expected the odd academically-minded student - and surely they all are, else why would one be paying all that money? - to have had a decko for themselves, though. It's something that even our state-sector DC have been made aware can be jolly helpful.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Gosh, how embarrassing for the school! How are they going to talk themselves out of that one?

All going ok so far here. Dd had a bit of a panic last night over Chemistry, she did a practice paper which she didn't score that well on. But she says the real thing today went ok.

Drama tomorrow but she's not too fussed about it and is having a bit of a break this afternoon and then starting to think about next week.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now