CRGS Failed Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
No justice

CRGS Failed Appeal

Post by No justice »

Sadly we have not won our appeal with CRGS, on the basis that the School's case was upheld that any additional admission would prejudice the provision of education to the students admitted to the school due to lack of space and resources. The prejudice to the other pupils would be greater than that caused to my child by not admitting him to the school.

Having looked through various posts on this site, it would appear that in recent years, only one appeal has been successful for a place to CRGS and I would very much like to know more. If a previous appeal was upheld, against the case made by the school, which I believe is the argument every year, then potentially we may have some room to take this further.

The system is very frustrating. The school's case is heard first, and then agreed that the case has been made, there is then little point in hearing individual cases as the result will always be the same, no room.

The school have no control or influence over the waiting list, so there is either a space, or there is not. And of course by the time you know you do not have a place, all the places have been offered.
pinkrabbit38

Re: CRGS Failed Appeal

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

No justice wrote:Sadly we have not won our appeal with CRGS, on the basis that the School's case was upheld that any additional admission would prejudice the provision of education to the students admitted to the school due to lack of space and resources. The prejudice to the other pupils would be greater than that caused to my child by not admitting him to the school.

Having looked through various posts on this site, it would appear that in recent years, only one appeal has been successful for a place to CRGS and I would very much like to know more. If a previous appeal was upheld, against the case made by the school, which I believe is the argument every year, then potentially we may have some room to take this further.

The system is very frustrating. The school's case is heard first, and then agreed that the case has been made, there is then little point in hearing individual cases as the result will always be the same, no room.

The school have no control or influence over the waiting list, so there is either a space, or there is not. And of course by the time you know you do not have a place, all the places have been offered.
What were your grounds for appeal?
No justice

Post by No justice »

Admission arrangements correctly and impartially applied. My child had not been given fair opportunity under same conditions as other candidates.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No justice wrote:Admission arrangements correctly and impartially applied. My child had not been given fair opportunity under same conditions as other candidates.
Can you give a bit more information? - was there a specific incident?
No justice

Post by No justice »

DC was moved desk twice, at beginning of each exam. Table plan incorrect. Que embarrassment and unsettling. Second time absolutely should not have happened. Only child in the 11+ at CRGS moved twice. Only happened once before historically in headmasters memory. Second incidence threw DC completely.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals. Very sorry to hear what has happened.

I think the only legal ground for a complaint would be if the Appeal Panel failed to follow correct procedure.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No justice wrote:DC was moved desk twice, at beginning of each exam. Table plan incorrect. Que embarrassment and unsettling. Second time absolutely should not have happened. Only child in the 11+ at CRGS moved twice. Only happened once before historically in headmasters memory. Second incidence threw DC completely.
I understand your argument that the admission arrangements were not correctly and impartially applied, but there is a further requirement:
    • 3.5 The panel must uphold the appeal at the first stage where:
      a) it finds that the admission arrangements did not comply with admissions law or had not been correctly and impartially applied, and the child would have been offered a place if the arrangements had complied or had been correctly and impartially applied
      [my underlining]
I wonder if there is evidence (if not in the decision letter, then in the clerk's notes) that the panel gave proper consideration to the whole of 3.5a.
Etienne
No justice

Post by No justice »

We provided good evidence of DC abilities including report from primary school including mock results over past two years comparable with children who have been offered spaces.

Is it worthwhile battling on? And if so, how?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No justice wrote:We provided good evidence of DC abilities including report from primary school including mock results over past two years comparable with children who have been offered spaces.
I do sympathise, but I'm afraid it's not possible to query the panel's judgement.
The ombudsman or ESFA will only consider procedural issues.
Is it worthwhile battling on?
Some complainants are successful. Most are not. Unsurprisingly, the former think it was worthwhile, while the latter do not.

At the moment it's not clear whether there were any procedural errors on which to base a complaint.
And if so, how?
Look at the advice we've already pointed to: If you want to keep all your options open, try and get hold of a copy of the clerk's notes. There's just a chance they might reveal if correct procedure was not followed.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman#d4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Janita

Post by Janita »

We share your agony. Same here. Our appeal was also unsuccessful
No justice

Post by No justice »

I have at long last received a copy of the clerk notes, a challenge in itself.

I don't think they are a fair reflection of some of the points made during the appeal and I don't know if enough consideration was given to my son's abilities.

I would like to send the document to someone who is more knowledgeable about it to ask their opinion.

Who would that be and how do I send the document privately?

Many thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now