CD Vol 3

Questions and advice about our 11 Plus Interactive CDs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Clare

CD Vol 3

Post by Clare »

Can anyone comment on the level of difficulty in the content of Vol 3?
how does it compare with the content of the real test? my son can get very high marks so im confused that it might be too easy? thanks
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi Clare

CD3 was written to complement the familiarization tests published by NFER. However, we thought that the tests papers should get progressively more difficult so that the student does not get bored and finds them challenging. We think that if a student is scoring high marks across all the question papers then they are probably well prepared for the real tests.

The papers written by The Tutors that replicate the real tests are those that are available as physical papers from the book store of the site or as downloadable e-papers. E-papers being half the price of physical papers. These papers should be completed in pairs to get full coverage of all the question types.

Other publishers worth looking for are IPS and Susan Daughtery Bright Sparks.

Regards

Mike
Clare

Cd Vol 3

Post by Clare »

Thanks Mike, he is getting 95+ out of 100 or even 100 out of 100. im just going into overdrive I guess!
shivkpr

IPS and Susan Daughtery Bright Sparks.

Post by shivkpr »

Hi Mike,
are these papers also relevant for herts , barnet or only for other areas

Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi Shivkpr

Our original set of questions were written for Wirral and Bucks, but if you look at the template on both the CD information pages Elevenplusexams, who do all the software developing and marketting, have identified a number of LEAs where either 15 or 21 NFER question types are typically used.

If your area falls outside any of those in the list, it may be worth looking at both demo discs, which are quickly downlodable, and compare them to any preparation material provided by your LEA.

Regards

Mike

NB
Your posting appeared under CD3, but I notice that your post subject refers to IPS and Susan Daughtery Bright Sparks. My comments relate to The Tutors material.
Andy

TO MIKE

Post by Andy »

Hi Mike

Is CD3 harder than cd 1/2, does this contain more difficult words. I am looking to improve on vocabulary skills.

Thanks
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi Andy

I can only comment on CDs 1 and 3.

As you may be aware CD1 is broken down into the standard 21 types of questions for verbal reasoning and CD3 is 12 papers of 100 questions each.

As we have not used the same questions there is a large range of words. As we have compiled questions we have asked ourselves whether the words would be familiar to children taking the 11+ tests.

I know people will disagree with this next statement but VR is more about method and technique than having an extensive high level vocabulary.

We have placed a free NFER wordlist on the site. I believe that there would not be a great deal of variance in the difficulty of words in the wordlist and the words used in the real test.

A reason for this is the emotive subject of discrimination against children who come from an ethnic background who would not be familiar with some of the more obscure words in the English language yet would be able to quite competently complete a test in verbal reasoning.

11+ verbal reasoning is supposed to assess intelligence and is a projection of future potential.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mike

Vocab and the 11 plus, Nfer VR Bucks

Yes I do agree that the majority of VR is about method and technique, however...

The vocabulary is seen without the aid of clues, in single form, many good readers are unable to grasp the meaning of some of these words, commonly found in the last 3 of a the section

With regard to children from an ethnic background, a few years ago it was discussed in Bucks whether we should change to NVR, because many ethnic children were NOT passing the VR, yet within a couple of years it became evident that these children SHOULD be in a grammar, the reason they were not passing the VR test, they did not have an extensive vocab.

I will always maintain that the biggest problem on the Bucks Nfer VR test is knowledge of vocab for types D H B S and spelling for types A J Q and F

The rest is method and technique.

Patricia
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi Patricia

Entirely agree that vocabulary is important for 4 out of the 21 question types.

The questions that keep coming up however are about the standard of vocabulary needed to complete these four types.

Whilst I agree that there should be some emphasis on extending vocabulary it should be reasonable to expect that a child suitable for a grammar school and therefore able to pass an 11+ test would have attained a relevantly high enough vocabulary within the school curriculum to do this.

However, without a doubt, a child that has attained a high level of vocabulary, through coaching, could not possibly pass an 11+ test without the ability to complete the 17 question types that are more method and technique based.

Regards

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now