Mock Exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pkaur

Mock Exams

Post by Pkaur »

Hi All,

I have a question relating to Mock exams, pre 11 plus. My son did a mock exam over the weekend that was of a similar format to the 11 plus to give him a idea of what its like to actually sit the exam with 2 papers. We got his score and he got 63% on English and VR and 71% Maths and NVR.....he was disappointed but I thought it was quite good considering he has never sat a exam before. We now have areas to concentrate on too that he didn't do as well in.

So my question is to those with experience...how clear a idea did any mock exams give you in terms of whether children go on to actually do similar in the real exam or better. So was your child's mock exam a indicator of pass/fail in real exam or their capability of passing in the end.

thanks in advance and welcome any advice and experiences.
Daogroupie

Re: Mock Exams

Post by Daogroupie »

The whole point of Mocks is to show the student and the parent where they need to improve before the real exam.

So it sounds like the mock did its job for you.

Did he finish all the questions or did he run out of time?

Did he find some sections more difficult than others.

Was there anything that he felt he had not been taught?

Where did he rank in the cohort of those taking the same mock?

DG
Pkaur

Post by Pkaur »

Thanks for that response. Is rank was 70 and it said a probable pass.

We know where he struggled - VR and he did run out of time and rush this section along with the harder Maths he guessed a few.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

70 out of how many?

Good to hear that you have received data that will help you focus.

You can really up his VR time if you focus.

I managed to get upto 100 in 22 minutes when I was teaching my two daughters. The three of us did every paper together and each time I managed to shave some time off.

The first time I did a VR paper I could not even get halfway through in the time.

DG
SVK

Post by SVK »

Well done to your DS. It sounds like he is on the right track but still have room for improvement.

My DD took the test in May, June and August last year.

Her scores were 60%, 65% and 76%. She scored 230 in the end.

I know of my DD friends that score above 80% in the mock, they all scored above 230 in the real exam.

Good luck and all the best.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Pkaur, that seems like a good mock score. There was a thread while back that might be of interest to you;

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 63#p688763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our DS sat one in Shirley around August time and scored 83%. He went on to score 243 in Birmingham and 367 for Walsall. Besides nerves on the day of the test he managed a good score overall. Keep doing practice papers and keep it light and fun. Little and often is much better than stressful long sessions.

I wish you all the best in your prep. :D
Pkaur

Post by Pkaur »

Thanks so much for the advice guys and the link.

We are going to try a August mock in the hope that the areas we now will work on will improve.

Thanks for the tip on VR, I will do them with my son and try to get us both faster....

To the question on Rank...I think only 30 children took the exam and I have found out since his score of 67% average over the 2 papers was in the top 5 students. So we are happy.

Its our first time going through all this and its daunting but we try to keep things light and steady paced....what will be will be.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to get a bigger cohort.

Sutton Mock A was 1434.

You need at least 100 and more if you can get it.

if 67% was in the top Five then the results must have been low. DG
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Daogroupie wrote:You need to get a bigger cohort.

Sutton Mock A was 1434.

You need at least 100 and more if you can get it.

if 67% was in the top Five then the results must have been low. DG
+1

The one we used had a very large cohort sitting the mocks. For the August one 900+ students sat for that one mock. It would give you a very good indication, where your child is at relative to the other children the larger the cohort is. It can't really tell you how your child will perform on the day, but at least it takes the fear out of sitting a test in a large hall with other students. I would definitely encourage doing a few. What you want is a child that is relaxed and confident.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

....unless, like us and a huge swathe of families, you have a child/children who are relaxed and confident - both mine had never sat a mock test with any other children, let alone 30, 300 or 3000!!! Some children may be nervous, especially if they feel their parents are very invested in the process, others won’t be.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now