Non qualification appeals 2019

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: Non qualification appeals 2019

Post by Etienne »

Sandy march wrote:Hi Etienne
Is there any info abt the schools in gloucester exceeding the PAN???? if so how do we find out how many extra's they have admitted.
I'm afraid not many schools openly publish their actual numbers as opposed to their admission number.

You might have to make an FOI request to individual schools, in which case you could adapt the wording used in this example:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Sandy march

Post by Sandy march »

Thanks Etienne will look into their website.

(As i understand the paperwork submitted by school will also be sent to the parent right???

Yes, it should be sent to you by the appeal clerk a week or two before the hearing.)

W.r.t to this question above... i received a letter from X school appeal clerk saying the date n time of appeal.
Is this all the paperwork you would be getting from the school authority??????
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

W.r.t to this question above... i received a letter from X school appeal clerk saying the date n time of appeal.
The clerk must also send you a copy of the case papers - probably after the letter with the date and time.
Etienne
Tinnyknickers

Post by Tinnyknickers »

Sandy march wrote:Thanks Etienne will look into their website.

(As i understand the paperwork submitted by school will also be sent to the parent right???

Yes, it should be sent to you by the appeal clerk a week or two before the hearing.)

We received the invitation to appeal hearing and it said the papers would be sent nearer the time.
Sandy march

Post by Sandy march »

Hi Etienne,
During the Appeal hearing...
*Will I get to know the scores my kid scored in both the papers. (School said they don't have his test papersits sent across).
* How to tackle the point that the school already have eligible pupils on the waiting list...compared to nonqualified students.
* over n above 150 can be pressure for school...tackling this aswell.
Any lead or guidance can be very much helpful.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sandy march wrote:During the Appeal hearing...
*Will I get to know the scores my kid scored in both the papers. (School said they don't have his test papersits sent across).
I'm afraid I don't know. Some authorities will provide the details, some don't.
You could try making an immediate subject access request:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You may or may not get an answer in time for your hearing.
* How to tackle the point that the school already have eligible pupils on the waiting list...compared to nonqualified students.
Everyone is entitled to have their case judged on its own particular merits.
If someone who is unqualified has convincing extenuating circumstances, lots of evidence to show very high academic ability, and good reasons for wanting or needing a place, then they really ought to stand a better chance than someone who is eligible but has only feeble reasons for wanting a place.
* over n above 150 can be pressure for school...tackling this aswell.
Any lead or guidance can be very much helpful.
Ask what they mean by "pressure". Impact on the quality of education? If so, what exactly is the evidence? Have results deteriorated when there's been a class of 31?
School cases too often resort to anecdotal "evidence", and make assertions such as "Our professional opinion is that class sizes should not exceed 30".
Research published by the DfE says:
    • "The evidence base on the link between class size and attainment, taken as a whole, finds that a smaller class size has a positive impact on attainment and behaviour in the early years of [primary] school, but this effect tends to be small and diminishes after a few years.

4.5.2 Secondary schools. There is very little evidence on the importance of class size on secondary school attainment. "

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -RR169.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or do they mean health & safety? If so, what exactly is the evidence? How many reportable accidents have there been which can be attributed to overcrowding?
Etienne
Sandy march

Post by Sandy march »

Thanks Etienne..
Sandy march

Post by Sandy march »

Etienne,
Is it ok to tell i have these above question at the intial stage...or jst say no questions & i do understand the school law.....in the 1st stage.
Saying no questions at first (as its non qualification.)will it make my case loose.
Sandy march

Post by Sandy march »

Etienne,
Iam totally comfused on this....
Labs can comfortably accomdate 30,increase in pupil will limit teaching opportunities in lessons n compromise learning for other eligible kids. :(
Teaching staff will be under pressure to follow cirriculum effectively.....how?????? No evidence at all.

Also the worst part for which am finding it difficult is...

Panel to consider any detriment in effective use of resources/edu. that might arise to adversely affect the children who have admitted to school by right,if d school considers to admit one more above their PAN,this would continue to impact on EACH SUCCESSIVE YEAR that d same year group remains over the approved number.Their recent increase in size of sixth form have given an additional strain by limited resources itseems.
How do i tackle to answer this Etienne?????
Help mee... :( :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sandy march wrote:Etienne,
Iam totally comfused on this....
After the school case has been presented, you are invited to ask questions.
If something is confusing or unclear, ask for an explanation.
Panel to consider any detriment in effective use of resources/edu. that might arise to adversely affect the children who have admitted to school by right,if d school considers to admit one more above their PAN,this would continue to impact on EACH SUCCESSIVE YEAR that d same year group remains over the approved number.
This is a valid point - but who is to say that a pupil might not leave at some point in time, bringing the number back down to PAN?
How do i tackle to answer this Etienne?????
Help mee... :( :(
You don't have to have all the answers at stage one. It's for the school to answer any questions.
Saying no questions at first (as its non qualification.)will it make my case loose.
No, it won't mean you lose your case.
Most of the school case is about the prejudice that would be caused by admitting an extra pupil. That will only apply to you if the panel decide your child should be deemed qualified, in which case your reasons for wanting a place at the school will then be balanced against the school's case for prejudice.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now