Question after appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bexleyresident

Question after appeal

Post by Bexleyresident »

I have been going over our panel meeting in my head since it took place earlier this week and I’m sure as we all did wish we had said certain things after the event.

One question I do have is that the panel asked if the school we accepted had a sixth form. It doesn’t, which is one of our main reservations about the school. My question is why would they ask this? If the school we accepted doesn’t have one but the one we’re appealing to does would this go in our favour?

I am happy with the fact that we put across all the academic evidence we could. We have accepted a place where via a banding test he has been placed in the top set (used this as evidence too during the meeting). I now worry that they will overlook our appeal as he has a place in a top set at a non grammar.

Just wishing the letter would arrive now and put me out of my misery!
Etienne

Re: Question after appeal

Post by Etienne »

One question I do have is that the panel asked if the school we accepted had a sixth form. It doesn’t, which is one of our main reservations about the school. My question is why would they ask this?
In isolation it doesn't sound like the best of questions to ask, but something may have prompted it.

If you were putting forward an academic case, the panel member might have been wondering if the allocated school could meet your son's needs (present and future).
If the school we accepted doesn’t have one but the one we’re appealing to does would this go in our favour?
It's more likely to be in your favour than not - but on its own I doubt that it is so significant as to determine the outcome of an appeal.

Good luck!
Etienne
Bexleyresident

Re: Question after appeal

Post by Bexleyresident »

Thank you for the information Etienne.

We received news today that our appeal was unsuccessful. Whilst we were upset our second choice school (non selective) is the best back up option in our area and we have to be happy with this.

Me question is based upon the letter I received. It says I didn’t provide a strong enough endorsement of his academic ability!!!! So end of year results since year 2 (working at greater depth), high attainers mock sats results, top set allocation at allocated school based on high NVR score, school reports and head teacher letter saying he’s working at greater depth isn’t enough???!!! It basically just says his English and maths were low (referring to test score, although he did get the overall pass mark but failed to reach minimum score in all three sections) and said that boys at appealing school are ‘generally’ working at greater depth (so not all of them then, meaning my son would be at a higher level than some) and in their words ‘there is insufficient evidence that X would cope with the pace of work’. It’s almost like the letter was based purely on my introduction page of the information I submitted in March as that was all that was referenced. The panel even commented on the amount of academic evidence I had provided to back his academic level at the start of the meeting.

Almost like they had decided the outcome before the meeting took place?????? I can’t help feeling that my case hasn’t really been heard properly. Is it worth taking further, requesting clerk notes to see what was noted?

Just feel very frustrated that after months of preparation all that has been noted is an introductory page as to why I was appealing.