SGS mock results - advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sorryIhaventaclue

SGS mock results - advice

Post by sorryIhaventaclue »

We have just had the results of the SGS Mocks.

This is the first time my daughter has done a mock test and we got a standardised score of 207. This was just outside of the top 40% for all the children that took this paper.

It was also the A style so multiple choice (so I would consider this an easier style test and expected a better result).
My concern is the 40% above her won't be giving up and so she is unlikely to move up dramatically against her cohort in the time we have.

Anyone have any words of motivation, advice or been in a similar situation? We are looking at SW London independents and frankly I am now extremely concerned she won't make the cut.

thanks everyone.
4Mum4

Re: SGS mock results - advice

Post by 4Mum4 »

My daughter didn't do very well in her first mock last year but she passed Sutton 11+. In her case the problem with her first mock was timing on the Maths I think she only did 27 questions in her first mock as she was too slow and didn't understand even though I had told her that if you are stuck you must have a guess and move on. She had never done a multiple choice test before her first mock and I think she found the format unfamiliar as well. She practised her timing after that and also I bought her a book of practice multiple choice tests and she finished the Maths on the next mock and did much better and in the real tests. So I wouldn't worry but have a look at the breakdown of her marks if you have one and try to see what the area is where she could improve.
Hopeful2019

Post by Hopeful2019 »

Hi, I posted similarly this time last year when my daughter scored 211. Your daughter has loads of time to sort out her timing, don't worry! It'll come with lots of timed practice. My daughter scored 306 in the end in the Nonsuch/Wallington stage 2 test and got an offer from Tiffin Girls School which had been our first choice on the state school application form. She also got offers from SW London Independents and will be starting at one in September. Good luck to your daughter, don't be disheartened by this result use it to give you focus.
KingstonMama

Post by KingstonMama »

My daughter did quite badly in the Sutton mocks maths, although well in the English. I was worried as I knew they have to pass each section as well as have a high enough overall score. She got a lot better at maths between June and sept esp as we parked English mostly and concentrated on weaker points in maths (and speed!). She got a place at nonsuch on offer day
ojmum

Post by ojmum »

Very similar - my son did Wallington mock, only did about half the maths paper and left the rest blank. We worked hard on speed, timing, and just filling in those blanks with best guesses! He passed 11+
You know what areas to work on, take heart. The 40% above her won't give up, but they'll also be looking at a choice of schools, just like you.
sorryIhaventaclue

Post by sorryIhaventaclue »

Thanks for all your replies. It gives me hope. We did have a timing issue on maths where she left a a number of questions at the end which accounted for more than 10% of the questions (7 out of 51 total). I did tell her afterwards if she has that again to just fill them in if she doesn't have time.

I also noticed a pattern that the later questions were more likely to be wrong than the earlier ones in both English and Maths results. I don't know if this is a concentration issue or it simply becomes harder as your progress in the test. I'm was surprised by English where we saw the same pattern. After the test she said the English was easy and finished well in time but still only got just under 70% so it's quite hard to know what the main problem to address is!
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Hi. My son also sat the Sutton mocks this month. In the exam notes on the same page as the link to the results, it says the Maths did get harder towards the end. The last section in the English was comprehension, which is often where most marks are lost, with most children faring well in spelling, grammar and punctuation.
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

When you look at the results, have you filtered them to remove the boys? As the mocks are obviously mixed, whereas the Sutton grammars are not (other than the grammar places at Greenshaw). When I was looking at my daughter's mock results last year, I always filtered out the boys as how they performed was irrelevant for me. Just looking at performance among the girls I felt was much more helpful.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

OP,

The main issue to address is to make sure that your dd is ready for the exam format that she will be facing.

Sutton Mock A was a 50 minute 100% multiple choice Maths paper followed by a 100% multiple choice English paper.

You knew that when you booked and she should have been told about the format before she went in and the best way to work with it.

As you can see in the exam commentary they were told about the paper and the five minute warning before the exam started. Some of them listened and left the question the were on when the five minute warning came and made sure they had an answer for every question and some didn't. They just stayed working on one question and so lost a 20% chance of picking up several more marks.

That is exam strategy that she needs to be aware of.

She also needs to be taught to be more wary. She flew though the English but she was being tricked as she got almost one third wrong.

You need to make her understand that exam papers are full of tricks and she needs to slow down and read carefully. DG
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

It was 51 questions in 40 minutes and 69 questions in 40 minutes in Mock A. Seemed odd numbers to me. I also believe the SET is 45 minutes.

I actually don’t think it’s a good idea for children to choose answers randomly when running out of time in the mocks. The real exam yes, of course, try to grab any extra marks, but doing so in the mocks will mean you don’t get a clear indication of what they need to work on between the mocks and the real thing in terms of speed and accuracy. A high number of fluke marks won’t do anyone any favours unless in the real thing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now