Queen Mary's - increased 2020 intake

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fishface101

Re: Queen Mary's - increased 2020 intake

Post by Fishface101 »

Toad Mum thank you your explanation is very very helpful and clear, and will look at la site.

We are non pp 0.464 miles as crow flies from a KE grammar school which is first preferred / would be over the moon choice - it’s just whether should consider other options just in case. Just don’t want to put eggs in one basket :D
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Fishface101 wrote:Toad Mum thank you your explanation is very very helpful and clear, and will look at la site.

We are non pp 0.464 miles as crow flies from a KE grammar school which is first preferred / would be over the moon choice - it’s just whether should consider other options just in case. Just don’t want to put eggs in one basket :D
If you live a distance from Walsall then it may help you decide, but if not then having eggs in different baskets certainly helped us.
parent8

Post by parent8 »

:?
quasimodo wrote:
Trident wrote:It is very difficult to predict. For example, BV had an extra 30 places this year and instead of the score decreasing or staying the same, it actually increased. There was obviously the issue of duplicate offers, but once this was resolved, the BV cut off is still at present more than last year. The head at the open day had also said there could be a decrease in the cut off because of the increase in places this year, but in effect, the opposite happened.
You are right.Even if you could predict there are different variables.Whether we are talking about pupil premium cut offs or non pupil premium cut offs ? The biggest factor I think will be be the impact of the catchment areas in the King Edward schools on the QM schools and their cut off scores.But it appears catchment is coming into the QM schools in the preference given to children from Walsall primary schools in the allocation pf pupil premium places.It wouldn't be a surprise if in the future preference rules came in for non pupil premium places.

http://qmgs.walsall.sch.uk/wp-content/u ... ements.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I feel it is only right that those families paying council tax in Walsall should get preference in their selective schools.
Fishface101

Post by Fishface101 »

Fair point!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

parent8 wrote::?
quasimodo wrote:
Trident wrote:It is very difficult to predict. For example, BV had an extra 30 places this year and instead of the score decreasing or staying the same, it actually increased. There was obviously the issue of duplicate offers, but once this was resolved, the BV cut off is still at present more than last year. The head at the open day had also said there could be a decrease in the cut off because of the increase in places this year, but in effect, the opposite happened.
You are right.Even if you could predict there are different variables.Whether we are talking about pupil premium cut offs or non pupil premium cut offs ? The biggest factor I think will be be the impact of the catchment areas in the King Edward schools on the QM schools and their cut off scores.But it appears catchment is coming into the QM schools in the preference given to children from Walsall primary schools in the allocation pf pupil premium places.It wouldn't be a surprise if in the future preference rules came in for non pupil premium places.

http://qmgs.walsall.sch.uk/wp-content/u ... ements.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I feel it is only right that those families paying council tax in Walsall should get preference in their selective schools.
I understand your sentiment but I am not sure how many parents of children eligible for entry on pupil premium would actually pay council tax.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

parent8 wrote:
I think you have to be wary of assuming that all school funding comes from council tax payers (it doesn't vast majority is from central funding) and also consider that many people don't pay council tax either at all or may have 25% reduction etc etc - conversely some pay a lot more council tax than others as they live in big houses, should they have priority for places?
Mama03

Post by Mama03 »

I think what parent8 is trying to say is that Walsall schools should be for Walsall children, pp or non pp. With the new catchment area being introduced in Birmingham; sadly the options for Walsall residents are limited now. In the past I have heard of people travelling from Derby, Burton, Rugby, Coventry, London and even as far as Ireland to sit the Walsall test. Walsall do need to implement some more changes though, I suspect there will be a higher amount of candidates competing for Walsall and even Sutton places come September 2019 :(