Moving to Greenwich

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cool09

Moving to Greenwich

Post by cool09 »

My son is currently preparing for Sutton 11 plus. I found a job in Greenwich and was wondering which grammar schools are closer to Greenwich. He can sit Bexley and Kent I guess. Now he needs to prepare for VR and NVR also. I am planning to rent near grammar school and travel to Greenwich for work. I am willing to drive 7-8 miles (no train station close to the workplace, have to drop little one at the breakfast club at 7.30am). I am thinking of moving to the area where he passes the test before the CAF deadline. Any advice will be much appreciated.
salsa

Re: Moving to Greenwich

Post by salsa »

Although they are out of catchment, children in Greenwich go to the Bexley and Dartford grammar schools as these schools are easily accesible by train. Moving to Bexley within catchment of the Dartford grammars would be ideal as you could still commute to Greenwich. Beware that there is a lot of traffic going into London at that time.

There might be a mid point where you would be in catchment for both Bexley and Dartford grammars, but I am afraid I don't know it.

Salsa
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

There is a coach from Greenwich to St Olaves (and Newstead Wood) but it is an early start. But children do make the journey on a daily basis. The competition for St Olaves is super fierce as there is no catchment. Driving in London for work is a nightmare, I know you say you’d be willing to drive 7 or 8 miles but that could be an hour and a half in rush hour and parking is nightmarishly expensive if you don’t have parking spot that comes with the job. For St Olaves you only know if your DS has got through to second round by CAF submission and the second test is in November and you don’t get the result - just find out if your DS gets a place on 1 March. Registration for the test and submission of the SIF closes very soon if you are looking at a place for Sept 2020.

Orpington and Petts Wood have great train links (it isn’t unusual in London for the on-journey to then be by bus / folding cycle / boris bike ) and primary schools if thinking about places for your younger one.

For Bexley and Kent the cut off date for change of address and still be considered on time has traditionally been first week in December but do check their relevant admissions booklets. Also consider about the younger one and a school place - will you be looking for a place at a new school or keeping them at their old school - if the latter that will reduce your options.

Good luck
cool09

Post by cool09 »

Thanks Salsa and PettswoodFiona for your reply. My workplace is in SE18 (Woolwich) and I will need to move house as it is too far from where I live now. There is parking available at work. My younger son (year 3 in September) also will need to move his primary school. Are the Bexley grammar schools super selective like the Sutton schools? St.Olaves's is far for us so looking at Dartford/nearby schools.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Bexley you just need a pass - you find out the pass score when you get the result in October. Oversubscription is then by distance (last distances offered are in the Bexley secondary booklet) unless you score in top 180 in which case it doesn’t matter where you live.

Dartford goes on score, it is a higher score for out of county, lower but still quite high for in-county. You won’t know the qualifying score until 1 March as it depends who puts it on their CAF, so a very high score can be a good indicator and almost a guarantee, but there is a certain element of uncertainty.

Some Kent grammars like Wilmington it is just a pass in the Kent test and living in one of the defined parishes.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Sidcup is the ideal area in the Borough of Bexley. 20 mins drive to Woolwich, just need a pass for the Bexley Grammar Schools on the doorstep (boys, girls and mixed) and St Olaves less than half an hour bus ride away as is Newstead Wood Girls. Nice area too - feels safe.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now