Wilson's class allocation_sept 2019entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stsb

Wilson's class allocation_sept 2019entry

Post by stsb »

Is it possible to change the class allocation at this stage? Starting year in wilson in September 2019. Received the class allocation letter last week. The letter states it is not possible to change the allocation at this stage. All the boy's from his primary school is in the same class which I don't like.
How do I request?
hermanmunster

Re: Wilson's class allocation_sept 2019entry

Post by hermanmunster »

I presume you can ask but sounds like they have already pre-empted this.

If there is a significant problem (eg previous bullying) then suggest you ask the school for advice, problem is, if they swap him out they have to change another child's class allocation
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

A bit late now, but if this is something you feel strongly about, did you think about asking the school about its policy on national offer day (or when you were first considering the school)? Or is the problem something which has only just surfaced at the primary school - in which case, one hopes it may have blown over again by the end of the summer holidays?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Usually there aren’t many at Wilson’s from the same primaries.
In my sons year the highest number from the same school was four.
I personally wouldn’t ask unless you have a very good reason.
Different forms do different languages and people may have expressed a preference ( we did).
I wouldn’t be happy if I was the parent of the other child being moved to accommodate your son. They may be very happy with their current allocation.
The forms determine the houses so once allocated people will be buying house PE kits etc.
I’m all for leaving things to the school if at all possible.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If your DS has had / is having significant issues with another boy, then you could always send an email to the form tutor / head of year / headf pastoral care? But as others have said, it isn't really on to expect to have another boy have his form allocation changed at this stage to accommodate your desire not to have your DS in the same form as current schoolmates.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
4mykids

Post by 4mykids »

stsb wrote:Is it possible to change the class allocation at this stage? Starting year in wilson in September 2019. Received the class allocation letter last week. The letter states it is not possible to change the allocation at this stage. All the boy's from his primary school is in the same class which I don't like.
How do I request?
I am surprised, as in my experience they intentionally split up boys who attended the same primary school.

I do know of one boy who asked to change class a few years back due to the foreign language they would have been allocated, and the request was granted.

I suggest writing to the school if you feel strongly about it.
Choco

Post by Choco »

To be honest, I think you should have expressed any significant preference or special reasons well before this.

Schools often don't invite people to state who they do/don't want to be with as it's just too complicated to accommodate everyone and often not desirable anyway, but if there is an issue about something like bullying highlighted early, they will take it on board, and probably have asked the primary schools already if there is anything they should know about the children coming from there.

We are now very late in the year for changes to be made and as others have said, it will impact others, so if it is just a general preference rather than based on something significant, I would leave it. If it is something significant that must be dealt with then tell the school, but I and they will wonder why you haven't said before if it is so serious.

When you say 'all' of them - how many actually are there?
stsb

Post by stsb »

Thanks, everyone for your replies. I know I should have requested earlier but I didn't realise the seriousness of the situation until my DS expressed last week that he doesn't want to be in the same class as the other two boys. I knew he had issues with the two boys but didn't expect them to end up in the same class again in the secondary school as Wilson is known to intentionally split up the boys from the same primary school. His primary school is not aware of the problem either as he hasn't reported it so that is not going to help. Maybe I'll just make them aware of it and states that DS prefer to be in a different class from the other two because of ..... I am seriously hoping these boys are winding him up and that they are not in the same class. If they find out that we request changes it'd make things worse for DS and if we are not who knows.

I know of one parent who would prefer to have his DS to do a different language than the one he has been allocated and was planning to ask the School about it.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I think these boys are winding him up.
Wilson’s has always had a policy of splitting boys from the same primary.
Not one boy in my sons year was in a class with boys from his primary
Irisa

Post by Irisa »

Moon unit wrote: Wilson’s has always had a policy of splitting boys from the same primary.
Not one boy in my sons year was in a class with boys from his primary
I agree, it is rather odd. We have 4 going to Wilsons this year and I believe all of them are in different classes.

If you have serious concerns you should contact Admissions as soon as possible.