KES Stratford New Starters, Sept 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

KES Stratford New Starters, Sept 2019

Post by kenyancowgirl »

To those of you with boys starting in Y7, welcome! I have 2 boys at KES so have a fairly long history with the school. If you have any specific questions then I will do my best to answer them around my work!

Most of you will have been invited to meet the Head, or one of the SLT, or will have that meeting coming up. Remember this is a meeting with your son, not you - let them talk! You also have the New Y7 Parents Evening (with boys) Weds June 12th 7pm, and the boys have their induction day Thursday 27th June. Most of your questions should be answered then - and you will have loads of info given out at the evening - read that over the following weekend, when you are less stressed!

There will be a uniform list within the pack most of which (branded) is sourced from Early Years in Solihull - well worth a visit there for the first fitting. On top of that, on the main school website homepage, at the bottom is the ShopKES icon where you can buy additional kit/equipment. The additional kit on here is not compulsory but is highly recommended (for example the PE bag for PE kit and the games holdall for games kit - especially if your boy is likely to represent any team at sport - and particularly useful for any school trip abroad - not just sports tours!) The equipment such as the calculator really should be bought as they all use the same one.

I would advise a simple backpack for every day books - your son can get a locker should he require one - you will need to provide a padlock (combination locks are usually better!) of 4mm or less (from memory) but details are in teh pack. Alternatively there are bag racks all round school - advise your son to use them!

Any other queries just fire away - I am in and out so may not get back online till later though! Welcome, again, and I do hope your boys will be happy at the school.
markos

Re: KES Stratford New Starters, Sept 2019

Post by markos »

Hi,

Do we take the boys with us to the June 12 Parents Evening?

Regards,

kenyancowgirl wrote:To those of you with boys starting in Y7, welcome! I have 2 boys at KES so have a fairly long history with the school. If you have any specific questions then I will do my best to answer them around my work!

Most of you will have been invited to meet the Head, or one of the SLT, or will have that meeting coming up. Remember this is a meeting with your son, not you - let them talk! You also have the New Y7 Parents Evening (with boys) Weds June 12th 7pm, and the boys have their induction day Thursday 27th June. Most of your questions should be answered then - and you will have loads of info given out at the evening - read that over the following weekend, when you are less stressed!

There will be a uniform list within the pack most of which (branded) is sourced from Early Years in Solihull - well worth a visit there for the first fitting. On top of that, on the main school website homepage, at the bottom is the ShopKES icon where you can buy additional kit/equipment. The additional kit on here is not compulsory but is highly recommended (for example the PE bag for PE kit and the games holdall for games kit - especially if your boy is likely to represent any team at sport - and particularly useful for any school trip abroad - not just sports tours!) The equipment such as the calculator really should be bought as they all use the same one.

I would advise a simple backpack for every day books - your son can get a locker should he require one - you will need to provide a padlock (combination locks are usually better!) of 4mm or less (from memory) but details are in teh pack. Alternatively there are bag racks all round school - advise your son to use them!

Any other queries just fire away - I am in and out so may not get back online till later though! Welcome, again, and I do hope your boys will be happy at the school.
Chantry_001

Post by Chantry_001 »

Thanks for the info, that is really kind of you, inside knowledge always helps!

Our son is starting in Sep so looking forward to the parents evening and the meeting with the HT on Thursday. Just working out logistics for travelling from Warwick, probably bus and maybe train, now that the trains are more frequent. I work in Tiddington also so am sure i will be a taxi for some of the week. Any other parents with boys in from Warwick going to KES and want to meet up to help the transition to Yr7 for the boys, do let me know!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

markos wrote:Hi,

Do we take the boys with us to the June 12 Parents Evening?

Regards,

YES! Absolutely! The evening tomorrow night is to welcome both boys and parents/guardians to the school - you will receive a pack of information to take away (which is very useful) and will have the opportunity to meet other parents/boys there. It is usually very well attended and they try and end with boys from different areas clustering together round the hall so you can meet people who live near you.

It is well worth bringing cash/chequebook/card as you will have the opportunity to buy some of the kit/equipment (such as games holdalls and pe bags) in advance of term starting so you have everything ready for day 1. There will be a Standards Evening very early in September which is, again, for boys and parents and sets out Standards expected - here you will be able to pick up any stuff you have ordered from ShopKES (the online shop) up until the deadline day - so tomorrow night gives you a bit of a headstart in picking up some bits!