Can children scribble on the Newstead Wood question papers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumsdarling2

Can children scribble on the Newstead Wood question papers?

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Hi,

Are children allowed to scribble on the question papers as they are working out the answers? TIA.
Crescent26

Re: Can children scribble on the Newstead Wood question pape

Post by Crescent26 »

Hi there. I have a DD at NW but in y8, so it's a while since she took the exam.

I have a feeling (not very scientific I realise) that they are not supposed to write on the paper. A friend with a daughter in y7 now had an upset during the entrance exam when an invigilator made her DD rub out writing on the exam paper during the test, so her DD lost precious time during the test. It was all resolved, but probably the best thing to do it (a) get your DD to read instructions carefully; (b) ask invigilator for scrap paper; (c) call admissions at NW and ask for clarification.

Hope that helps, and good luck to your DD.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD now in Y9 so sat test a while ago says you can’t scribble on the test paper but you can ask for scrap paper.

DD sat Kent, Bexley and NW so we just made sure she was adaptable and good at listening to instructions so didn’t get too worried about what was or wasn’t allowed as it may have thrown her if it was different to what we said or it changed for that year. We made sure the pencil case was as per instructions as all the tests were subtly different on that.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Thank you both for your replies. It definitely helps to avoid any upsets in the exam. it is stressful enough.
11plusNoobDad

Post by 11plusNoobDad »

My DD has been caught out by this in her prep works. She has always crossed out not likely answers on the question sheet....especially NVR. How are you supposed to workout alphabet codes without marking on the question sheet which has the alphabets?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

11plusNoobDad wrote:My DD has been caught out by this in her prep works. She has always crossed out not likely answers on the question sheet....especially NVR. How are you supposed to workout alphabet codes without marking on the question sheet which has the alphabets?
Don’t think DD ever needed to write out the alphabet more than once on scrap and could then use it again and again. She could write the alphabet in 20 secs or less so no big deal. Don’t make a big trauma about any challenge and focus on solutions and it will hold them in good stead well beyond 11+.
Anna2018

Post by Anna2018 »

Interesting. I don't understand what is the harm in writing on question paper? My daughter also crosses out wrong answers at NVR practice. Answer sheet is separate anyway, so why should it make any difference?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Anna2018 wrote:Interesting. I don't understand what is the harm in writing on question paper? My daughter also crosses out wrong answers at NVR practice. Answer sheet is separate anyway, so why should it make any difference?

If the school wants to be able to reuse the papers, it's a problem, of course.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now